Author Topic: Pfalz D.III/D.IIIa question  (Read 3532 times)

Offline wmoran

Pfalz D.III/D.IIIa question
« on: January 30, 2018, 06:57:16 AM »
I understand that these planes had rib tapes along the top centerline of the fuselage.  The rib tapes are not visible in most photos, but I could see them in a couple of cockpit close-up photos in WSDF #107, including photo 58 on page 26.  My question is: did these aircraft also have rib tapes down the bottom centerline of their fuselages?  If so, did they run all the way to the nose?  Ronny Bar's profiles in the D.XII instructions show it that way for the D.XII, so I am guessing that it would be the same for the D.III/IIIa since their fuselages were constructed in the manner, but I am hoping someone can give me confirmation or correction to my belief.

Thanks,
Bill

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Pfalz D.III/D.IIIa question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 08:41:49 AM »
Bill,
    The bottom C/L had it as well. There's a good photo on pg.5 of the D.III Data File #7 with a caption that confirms it as "the center fuselage joint line".  Ronny Bar's profiles in the various publications also show the strip top and bottom. You've raised an excellent point; I missed the strips on my D.IIIa Build!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline wmoran

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 09:36:02 AM »
Thanks Lance. 

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 02:24:03 PM »
Lance is correct , from behind the cockpit running done to the rudder and the bottom of the fuselage from the nose to it's tail .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline wmoran

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 03:31:32 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation Terri.

Bill

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 04:05:45 PM »
Hi Bill,
 I replicated the tape by cutting a thin strip from the gummy part of a cigarette paper. No need for glue, just spit 'n go!

Cheers,
vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 08:17:18 PM »
Hi Bill,
 I replicated the tape by cutting a thin strip from the gummy part of a cigarette paper. No need for glue, just spit 'n go!

Cheers,
vB

cool idea. however, 'cigarette papers' are a pretty exotic material to me as a lifelong nonsmoker. any particular brand or type to look for?

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 12:43:46 AM »
   I actually used a length of Bob's "Strippers" on my D.XII, sanded down slightly it worked beautifully!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 03:17:32 AM »
Hi Bill,

Cheers,
vB

cool idea. however, 'cigarette papers' are a pretty exotic material to me as a lifelong nonsmoker. any particular brand or type to look for?

Rizla Ultra thin Kingsize.

I gave up smoking 27 years ago, but I did roll my own back in the day, hence my understanding of the merits of fine papers  ;)

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 03:21:03 AM »
   I actually used a length of Bob's "Strippers" on my D.XII, sanded down slightly it worked beautifully!
Cheers,
Lance

Hi Lance,
 I had no idea you could sand 'Strippers!'
You learn something new every day  :)

Thanks for the heads up  ;)

vB

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 03:23:49 AM »
I followed Ray Rimmell's example from his build in Windsock Vol. 26, No. 6, by using extra linen rib tapes from another WNW kit, after the first color coats had been painted. I glossed, applied the decals, then added another light coat over the decals. It is subtle, but visible.

On the underside, I went from the tail up to the "V" where the curved fuselage meets the wing center section, then from the leading edge of that section to the nose (except for the cross brace for the landing struts). It seemed logical, to me, to not include the "flat" area under the wing, not having an actual photo of that area at hand. I did slightly miss the "point" of the V, which wasn't noticed until long after, but not going to redo it now.

Rich

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 06:23:43 AM »
Cheers,
Lance

Hi Lance,
 I had no idea you could sand 'Strippers!'
You learn something new every day  :)

Thanks for the heads up  ;)

vB

"von Stripper Ripper",
     Just to be clear I was probably removing/smoothing some of the Tamiya Surface Primer I used to blend in the seams. I used the grey one, several coats and then sanded the edges a bit.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline wmoran

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 07:54:49 AM »
I was also going to try using rib tape decals since I have a whole decal sheet of them from my Jasta 5 Albatros trilogy.  I was not aware of Ray Rimmel's use of them, but I have been watching Rick Geisler's Roden Albatros D.III build, and just adding rib tape decals appears like it will be visible enough to simulate the rib tape detail that Roden left off the model, so it should work on the Pfalz fuselage.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Bill

Online RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 05:15:58 AM »
I was also going to try using rib tape decals since I have a whole decal sheet of them from my Jasta 5 Albatros trilogy.  I was not aware of Ray Rimmel's use of them, but I have been watching Rick Geisler's Roden Albatros D.III build, and just adding rib tape decals appears like it will be visible enough to simulate the rib tape detail that Roden left off the model, so it should work on the Pfalz fuselage.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Bill

Yep, I think the rib tape decal will work quite nicely!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler