Author Topic: WNW Taube  (Read 23985 times)

Offline GB

Re: WNW Taube
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 06:43:34 AM »
Nice start Eric.

Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2018, 08:25:58 AM »
Your start on the interior colors is looking great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline eclarson

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2018, 11:03:19 AM »
Continuing work on my Taube's interior. Adding bracing wires is a breeze with EZ Line! Leather effect on seats done with acrylics and oils.

Eric

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2018, 01:35:31 AM »
I love the leather and wood graining! Indeed (compared to the newer Dolphin) you don't see a lot of these being built.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2018, 09:31:41 AM »
Man, those knot dots really do bring it to life! Where can I find out how to do that?

On another forum I saw a thread titled "My First WNW" and it was this. I was amazed anyone could tackle it, fully rigged, as their first Wingnut kit - he had it finished inside a week!
Zac in NZ

Offline eclarson

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2018, 12:34:26 PM »
Man, those knot dots really do bring it to life! Where can I find out how to do that?

On another forum I saw a thread titled "My First WNW" and it was this. I was amazed anyone could tackle it, fully rigged, as their first Wingnut kit - he had it finished inside a week!

There's not much to find out!  I got the idea from the excellent book "Stringbag" by Jeroen Veen and Flip Hendrickx where mention was made of adding dots of oil paint to the regular grain patterns (also done with oils).  I've been doing wood grain with oil paints for years but never thought to add the "knot dots".   For mine, I dipped the end of a round wood toothpick in thinned burnt umber artist oil paint and tapped it in random places making the tiny paint dots.  For variety I then gently streaked a few with a soft brush dampened with thinner (I use AK and Mig odorless thinner).  It's one of those things you just have to try and don't over think it. 

I should note that I added the dots after the main grain patterns had dried. 

My second WWI model and first WNW kit was the LVG, which is also where I first gained experience doing wood grain over large areas, but it took me a lot longer than a week!  Closer to 9 months. :)

Cheers,
Eric

Offline Softscience

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2018, 01:58:56 PM »
Really nice so far. I'm glad you discovered EZ Line. It really is a great product.

The taube is such a cool flying contraption (I'm hard pressed to call it an airplane), and I'm watching your build with interest. If I had a spare $110 lying around, I'd get one too.

Maybe I'll ask for one for my birthday.

Offline GB

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2018, 02:47:36 PM »
Very, very nice indeed  8) Bring on the updates!!!!

Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2018, 01:09:03 AM »
The interior wood work and rigging is looking fantastic. I look forward to your next update!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Edo

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2018, 04:01:37 PM »
i like very much also the leather of the seat! how did you do that? leatheris to me very difficult to kake....
thank you
ciao
edo

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2018, 06:30:42 PM »
Loos gorgeous so far :) I am going to take notes as I will be building one in the near future :)
Think globally, act locally!

Offline dirk

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2018, 07:17:57 AM »
Hi Eric, great progress inside the cockpit. Beautiful woodgrain finish and the knot dots method brings the wood to life! Let me tell you that in 2012 your woodgrain tutorial was a great inspiriation and important breakthrough for my skills during my first WNW build!

Cheers, Dirk

Offline eclarson

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2018, 12:27:00 AM »
i like very much also the leather of the seat! how did you do that? leatheris to me very difficult to kake....
thank you
ciao
edo

Thank you all for your kind comments!  The leather was done with diluted Vallejo acrylics and oil washes using a technique described in the new Stringbag book mentioned in one of my earlier posts.  It's a layering technique starting with leather brown then moving to dark earth and ochre brown for the hilights.  A dark brown oil wash helped tone down the contrasts between shades. 

Further updates may be a while as I just returned home from the hospital after having hip replacement surgery.  All went well but it might be a couple weeks before I can get back to my work bench.

Cheers,
Eric

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2018, 02:45:30 AM »
Eric,
    Glad to hear the surgery went well, you'll be back at that bench in no time! Looking great so far, the wood work is particularly well done and the interior panels really catch the eye. looking forward to more when you are back to the bench!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline eclarson

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2018, 02:06:22 AM »
Hi Eric, great progress inside the cockpit. Beautiful woodgrain finish and the knot dots method brings the wood to life! Let me tell you that in 2012 your woodgrain tutorial was a great inspiriation and important breakthrough for my skills during my first WNW build!

Cheers, Dirk

Thank you Dirk!  I'm happy to hear the woodgrain tutorial helped.  If nothing else it's a good starting point as every time I do wood grain I find myself making changes and refinements as I gain experience.  It's one of those really fun things to experiment with.

Cheers,
Eric