Author Topic: WNW Taube  (Read 23867 times)

Offline eclarson

Re: WNW Taube
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 10:11:49 AM »
First, thank you for all the encouraging words regarding my upcoming surgery.  Greatly appreciated!

Now back to the topic at hand.   I haven't done anything worth taking pictures of but have made opening moves including prepping the interior parts and fuselage for painting, and getting a good idea what to expect with the rigging which will be challenging due to the shear number of lines and the extremely delicate posts and struts sticking out every which way from the wings and tail.  It will be the rare modeler who can build this kit without breaking off at least one of those. :)

A number of cross braces install directly to the inner fuselage walls for which locator holes are provided but require careful drilling to deepen them - the challenge being to not drill all the way through the fuselage side.  Fortunately the wall thickness is sufficient to allow deep enough holes for securing the lines.  Speaking of which, for anyone contemplating building one of these I highly recommend using elastic rigging line such as Uschi's or EZ-Line.  My usual rigging material - fishing line - would be quite difficult to install and maintain tension not to mention those fuselage interior braces.

There are numerous superb WIP photos on Wingnut's site of the sample model which are valuable references particularly for the interior detail and airframe rigging.  Don't attempt this kit without studying those photo very carefully!

Cheers,
Eric

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 11:13:09 AM »
It hasn't put me off. Just think I need a few more easier aircraft under my belt first  ;D No point trying to run before I can walk....

Gary
Then I recommend an Eindecker. And, forget the turnbuckles.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline eindecker

• Models In Scale
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 11:21:09 AM »

A number of cross braces install directly to the inner fuselage walls for which locator holes are provided but require careful drilling to deepen them - the challenge being to not drill all the way through the fuselage side.  Fortunately the wall thickness is sufficient to allow deep enough holes for securing the lines.  Speaking of which, for anyone contemplating building one of these I highly recommend using elastic rigging line such as Uschi's or EZ-Line.  My usual rigging material - fishing line - would be quite difficult to install and maintain tension not to mention those fuselage interior braces.

There are numerous superb WIP photos on Wingnut's site of the sample model which are valuable references particularly for the interior detail and airframe rigging.  Don't attempt this kit without studying those photo very carefully!

Cheers,
Eric
I agree, use EZ Line or equivalent where possible. This brings up the question of structural integrity enhanced by rigging with monofilament. I suspect there may be need for a more rigid rigging material like mono when dealing with the wings. In other words the Wings may require additional support beyond that offered by an elastic material. Don’t know, but certainly possible. Thoughts?
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 12:53:21 PM »
I agree, use EZ Line or equivalent where possible. This brings up the question of structural integrity enhanced by rigging with monofilament. I suspect there may be need for a more rigid rigging material like mono when dealing with the wings. In other words the Wings may require additional support beyond that offered by an elastic material. Don’t know, but certainly possible. Thoughts?

That was my concern at first too but looking at the big wing mounting lugs on the fuselage combined with the thin one-piece wings I think the complete structure will be quite sturdy regardless of the rigging material.  At least the sample model on the WNW site has EZ Line throughout.   All speculation on my part though.  We'll see what happens when I get to that point!

Eric

Offline eindecker

• Models In Scale
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 01:02:36 PM »
That’s good to know. I need to spend more time looking at the Wingnut Wings build example. My E-III has developed a bit of wing sag. It’s rigged with mono so once I correct the sag, I will have a few sagging mono rigging lines to deal with. Probably why I keep putting it off.
Michael Scott

Offline GB

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 01:14:49 PM »
It hasn't put me off. Just think I need a few more easier aircraft under my belt first  ;D No point trying to run before I can walk....

Gary
Then I recommend an Eindecker. And, forget the turnbuckles.

Been there, done that. 1st buuld - and with turnbuckles.

Offline GB

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 01:17:12 PM »
You could use structural rigging for just one line  per wing and Ezi Line for others?

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 07:24:49 PM »
You could use structural rigging for just one line  per wing and Ezi Line for others?

You'd probably get one rigging wire that looked very different to the rest

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 08:07:12 PM »
To give my two cents: Structural rigging with e. g. fishing line is in my opinion much easier than using any flexible material. I only use this flexible stuff where I have to rigg delicate parts like interiors containing thin plastic bars. Non-flexible stuff goes much easier into eyelets and brass rod-turnbuckles than the flexible stuff.
Best regards
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2018, 02:42:57 AM »
To give my two cents: Structural rigging with e. g. fishing line is in my opinion much easier than using any flexible material. I only use this flexible stuff where I have to rigg delicate parts like interiors containing thin plastic bars. Non-flexible stuff goes much easier into eyelets and brass rod-turnbuckles than the flexible stuff.
Best regards
Borsos

I found elastic thread a little more challenging than fishing line but still quite doable once I got the hang of working with it.  Used Uschi elastic line with polyimide tubing turnbuckles and Bob's Buckle's 1/48 eyelets throughout on this Eduard SE.5a.   Two sets of fine pointed tweezers are a must!

Eric

Offline dirk

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2018, 03:39:56 AM »
Hi Eric,

great news that you are starting your Taube build right now. I will also begin with my Taube this weekend and it will be great to share some ideas and experiences throughout the stages of our projects.

Greetings from Bonn, Germany
Dirk

Offline eclarson

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2018, 10:19:35 PM »
Hi Eric,

great news that you are starting your Taube build right now. I will also begin with my Taube this weekend and it will be great to share some ideas and experiences throughout the stages of our projects.

Greetings from Bonn, Germany
Dirk

Hi Dirk,
Looks like we have the makings of a small Taube group build!  I have to say that with this kit WNW has raised the bar on what is possible with injection molding.  I'm amazed at the delicate and fine details in many of the smaller parts.  But that also means a steady hand and light touch are needed to remove and clean up parts, particularly those for the cockpit.  I spent a couple hours yesterday  doing just that.  Check out parts 46 in the photo below.  They are tiny pulleys that attach to one of the cockpit bulkheads and are actually molded with a hole for the control lines to pass through.  I merely slightly enlarged the hole with a small drill bit.

I look forward to seeing and hearing about your experiences once you start your Taube.

Cheers,
Eric
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:27:07 PM by eclarson »

Offline dirk

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2018, 04:06:32 AM »
Hi Eric,

I have started my Stahltaube topic. So let's keep in touch.  ;)

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9250.0

Cheers, Dirk

Offline eclarson

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2018, 06:11:59 AM »
Hi Eric,

I have started my Stahltaube topic. So let's keep in touch.  ;)

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9250.0

Cheers, Dirk

Thanks for the link!   

Eric

Offline eclarson

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2018, 06:15:47 AM »
Working on the Taube's cockpit. Just finished the wood grain areas which are limited to part of the cockpit floor and a couple bulkheads.
Raw Umber oils over Tamiya Wood Deck Tan with Burnt Umber "knot dots". The latter being a little trick I learned from the new Stringbag book and really adds to the wood grain's character.

Cheers,
Eric