Author Topic: Ansaldo S.V.A. 9, Fly 1/48 with Aviattic Wood and CDL Decals  (Read 4866 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Ansaldo S.V.A. 9, Fly 1/48 with Aviattic Wood and CDL Decals
« on: January 22, 2018, 06:40:59 AM »
I'm so glad to have completed this one.  There were times when I wanted to just give up on it.  This was one of the worst kits I've battled in years.  Parts fit was poor, detail vague, struts were various and random sizes with no pins or associated location holes...I could go on and on, but why bother.  The end result is a model that I'm not really proud of, but I can live with.  She'll never encounter a judges light and magnifier.  But she's done, and now I can move on to something I will love.
On a positive note, the Aviattic decals were a pure joy to work with and if anything looks good on this model, it's because of them.

Now, I can get started on this one!  Really looking forward to it.  More parts in the cockpit of this one than in the entire Ansaldo.

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

Re: Ansaldo S.V.A. 9, Fly 1/48 with Aviattic Wood and CDL Decals
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 07:31:02 AM »
I enjoyed following your build as always. I love your use of the CDL decals.  Beautiful work on this one Amigo!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 07:35:48 AM »
Looks outstanding from where I am sitting, congratulations on getting her done.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 07:43:19 AM »
Looks super Bud,

I know that feeling though.. The Ninak should be a real treat. Love to have a go at that one day.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 08:36:15 AM »
Pity this kit costed you so much. But then, it looks very fine, Bud. And I am so glad you chose Polish markings for it. All in all, you should be proud of having it completed.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 08:57:21 AM »
Bud,
     I think we all run into a problem model at some point so I feel your relief; on the other hand you really tamed this one; it's a beauty! The decal work, detail, and the eye catching scheme really shine, congratulations, Heck of a fine job! 8) 8) 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 12:07:09 PM »
Bud
It really turned out nice and with our old memories you'll forget the dog of a kit it was it was in a couple of years  :o

You often have to wonder 'did the manufacturer put one of these together before going into production?' when the struts are too short or pieces just don't fit.  I have the Fly single seat version - is it just as bad?

Looking forward to the DH9 build. 

Charlie
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 04:26:41 PM »
Wow, turned out very good, top work. I know the feeling you don't love a model, but that is life.
The next build will be a stunner again!
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline xan

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 11:02:57 PM »
Good work Bud i like the plane and the way you did this model
Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline boggie

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 02:11:56 PM »
I'm so glad to have completed this one.  There were times when I wanted to just give up on it.  This was one of the worst kits I've battled in years.  Parts fit was poor, detail vague, struts were various and random sizes with no pins or associated location holes...I could go on and on, but why bother.  The end result is a model that I'm not really proud of, but I can live with. 

I'm certainly glad you didn't give it up Bud.  :D

I think you have achieved a marvellous result. Especially so considering the junk you had to work with!

I very much like the CDL translucency effect you have achieved on the flying surfaces and your fuselage looks excellent, as

does your entire result.  8)

On a positive note, the Aviattic decals were a pure joy to work with and if anything looks good on this model, it's because of them.

Disagree.  ::) . Richard's stickers look good because YOU stuck em on good!   ;D

IMHO your Ansaldo is one to be proud off.  :)

Offline Borsos

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 08:20:12 PM »
Isn't it like at school?  The good kids pass by without leaving any remarks in your memory. But the rebellious ones are a real challenge and you are proud when you have managed to teach them anything of value. It is not the case that you need to have only those kids in your classroom. But from time to time it is good to have one as you can see what you really are able to do... Now you can relax with a good one, the Ninak,  and without frequently struggling due to its misbehavior  ;)

Anyway, this Ansaldo is one to be proud of, I really love it and I am glad that you didn't give up.
Best regards

Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Bughunter

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 07:06:18 AM »
Bud, the finished model do not show the problems of the build but it shows the viewer the typical look of an Ansaldo with dark wood and linen!
Thank you for invitation to try that linen decals too one day.

Thanks for showing!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 08:19:09 AM »
The walk around pics really show it off Amigo !  All the above comments well deserved !!!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline IanB

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 11:05:58 AM »
It looks damn good from here Bud. It's the terrible kits that bring out the best of the "modeler" in us, and this really shows your skill levels!

Ian

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 05:18:47 PM »
Dit-toe!!!

All of the above and more...I sure think it's mighty nice!

Dan