Author Topic: Harry Cobby - Copper State Models  (Read 4197 times)

Offline Carpo

• A gallery of my Models
Harry Cobby - Copper State Models
« on: January 21, 2018, 08:24:35 AM »
Hey all,
Copper state models have just releses an 'RFC' figure based on a well known photo of Harry Cobby AFC. Mine is on its way!

http://www.copperstatemodels.com/main/fullDetails/203
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:47:17 AM by Carpo »
The air force will always need technicians because pilots need heroes too.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Harry Cobby - Copper State Models
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 11:05:20 AM »

CSM's figures just keep getting better and better!  Must have one of these!  Now, if we can get Edgar to convince Melius Manu to do a Cobby decal sheet to go with it. ;)
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 01:39:50 AM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 12:33:53 PM »
Novascale do a set of decals for Cobby's Camel as well

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AFC-Sopwith-Camel-F1-WWI-Mini-Set-Decals-1-32-Scale-N32071b/302515755524?hash=item466f581a04:g:CccAAOSw7aBVA58k

Anyone have experience with their decals?
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Carpo

• A gallery of my Models
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 09:00:49 PM »
Hi all,
Here is the finished product. I had to remove the RAF hat badge an replace it with the Australian rising sun badge, added a pip to suggest he might be a captain.
I was so happy when this figure was released, I feel like he was made just for me!
The snipe will be replaced by a Camel in Cobby's markings some time in the next year or two.
Thanks Copper State Models!
Carpo :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 08:54:57 AM by Carpo »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 09:10:28 PM »
Gorgeous painting of the figure! Looks awesome in front of the Camel!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 12:34:13 AM »
Coincidentally, one of the next releases from Pheon decals will be a set for four Camels connected with Cobby: three Clerget Camels flown by him (including the spectacular black and white trainer) and an all-red trainer SE5a from the same training unit. The set will also include a couple of very thin photo-etched Chaplin figures and a photo-etched cover for the removed Vickers guns and the one-off winds-crcreen for the trainer's hump. This set was originally planned for release a couple of months ago, but has been delayed due to my illness. Hope to have this available in a couple of months or so.

Rowan
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 01:41:14 AM »
Coincidentally, one of the next releases from Pheon decals will be a set for four Camels connected with Cobby: three Clerget Camels flown by him (including the spectacular black and white trainer) and an all-red trainer SE5a from the same training unit. The set will also include a couple of very thin photo-etched Chaplin figures and a photo-etched cover for the removed Vickers guns and the one-off winds-crcreen for the trainer's hump. This set was originally planned for release a couple of months ago, but has been delayed due to my illness. Hope to have this available in a couple of months or so.

Rowan

Thanks for the information, Rowan! Sounds interesting and promising: I am looking forward to this set, as I like especially those colourful training-aircraft!
Richard

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 01:46:52 AM »
Beautiful job on Cobby, Paul!  Can't wait to see your Camel.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 02:40:01 AM »
Rowan,  hope your health's improving.

i'm automatic for the Cobby set.

btw i'm guessing you have "High Adventure" and know that the Chaplins were on Aluminium. the depth of your Cobby set suggests you do, but if you need a scan from the book, give a holler.

PS anyone with even a passing interest in Cobby NEEDS this book. and i ain't even read the words yet just looked at the pictures.

Offline Carpo

• A gallery of my Models
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 08:52:18 AM »
Hi Jeff, a good read!
Hi Rowan, hope your health is on the mend.
Anything AFC will get my money!
I have seen one of the charlie chaplins in the Point Cook museum and if they were made of 40 thou thick aluminium, at 1/32 scale they would be a little under 2 thou thick, I would stick with a decal alone.
Carpo

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 01:08:26 AM »
Carpool, the interesting question isn't thickness but rather does the aluminium affect color? I'd expect chipped paint and exposed whitish oxidized aluminium.

What did you see when you eyeballed the real thing?

Offline Carpo

• A gallery of my Models
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 09:24:07 AM »
Minor abrasions overall, but that was some 90 years since it flew and made irs way back to Australia.. It was brand new at the time so this damage would not have been as severe. There is a black and white photo of one in High Adventure.
Carpo.