Author Topic: Hasegawa 1/8 Fokker Dr.I  (Read 3923 times)

Offline BSteinIPMS

Hasegawa 1/8 Fokker Dr.I
« on: January 19, 2018, 03:00:05 AM »
This is the Hasegawa 1/8 scale Fokker Dr.I which they label as a "Museum Model". Sort of a misnomer, I believe, since there is great scope for correcting, adding, deleting, and scratch-building. Great fun, really.

Photo 1 shows the kit's plastic propeller. Not very iconic, is it? The original Axial propeller was laminated up from Walnut & birch. Mine is made up from Cherry and basswood.

Photo 2 is the completed propeller.

Cheers!
--Bob

"Drink up, for the brewery needs the empties." ----Ghostrider 22, 189th Assault Helicopter Company, Pleiku, Vietnam, 1968.

Offline mgunns

Re: Hasegawa 1/8 Fokker Dr.I
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 03:42:13 AM »
Hi Bob:

Nice to see you on the forum with this kit.  I had seen some photo's that Chuck had sent.  This is a much easier way of following your build.  I will be following with interest.  Prop is looking outstanding per usual.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 04:05:21 AM »
Hello Bob
Looking at the job you have done on the prop I have a feeling this is going to be a good one. I will be really looking forward to seeing your build.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline UFAG

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 06:28:39 AM »
fantastic prop..!!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 06:40:37 AM »
Awesome prop! This example of your work tells me that this will be a build to follow and reference for future, smaller scale, Triplane builds! Thanks for bringing your build here!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline UFAG

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 06:48:45 AM »
Somehow I do recall that the first edition of this model decades ago, had a real wooden prop. Hasegawa replaced it with a plastic one on the later editions.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 06:51:33 AM »
Excellent work on the propeller Bob, looking forward to following along with this build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline BSteinIPMS

Re: Hasegawa 1/8 Fokker Dr.I with link to photo album
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 12:43:46 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words, gentlemen; much appreciated! Looking at the work of other modelers on this forum, thought, I'd have to say I'm humbled. Excellent work all around.

So as not to use up valuable band width here by posting many photos, I thought I'd take a short cut and post a link to my online Google Photo Album of the Fokker Dr.I build up to this point.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zWu0sCW10Pptysvi1

The page will open up as large thumbnails, and if you click on the first one to expand it you’ll see a magic disappearing arrow in the right section of the photo. You can click on this arrow to advance or use the left arrow to go back without having to back out of the photo and return to thumbnails. You should then see captions off to the right, and if not, just click on the circled ‘i’ for ‘info’ at the top right to reveal them. Have fun!

Cheers!
--Bob

"Drink up, for the brewery needs the empties." ----Ghostrider 22, 189th Assault Helicopter Company, Pleiku, Vietnam, 1968.

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 01:11:35 AM »
Wow Bob, that is some impressive detailing.  This will really be a "Museum Quality" kit when you are done.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 01:31:02 AM »
   Incredible detailing Bob! That Oberursel is a magnificent model in itself. This is going to be a great reference for details for anyone building a DR.1 in any scale, so glad you are posting this here!
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 04:39:36 AM »
   Incredible detailing Bob! That Oberursel is a magnificent model in itself. This is going to be a great reference for details for anyone building a DR.1 in any scale, so glad you are posting this here!
Cheers,
Lance

I agree with Lance. The engine is brilliant, as are all of the detailing you are doing!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Bughunter

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 07:54:05 AM »
Really pitty, that I build my model many years ago, in principle oob. It is still a impressive model, especially after I replaced the plastic propeller by a laminated wooden one some years ago (I can post an image if you like, don't want to hijack your thread).
But your build shows clearly, what is possible from this kit with the good information available today paired with a perfect workmanship! Very impressive!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 07:05:12 AM »
Well this answers my ? from your posting of your Pics from NASM.

Great start with the prop, engine, wheels , etc !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline BSteinIPMS

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 07:24:53 AM »
Coming from the Famous Ed B___..........that's high praise, indeed!
Since Ed was so kind as to praise my plebian efforts, and since I believe no good deed should go unpunished, attached forthwith is a photo of Ed's 1/28 Revell Dr.I which won acclaim and prizes at the 2017 IPMS/USA Nationals in Omaha.

Cheers!
--Bob

Offline BSteinIPMS

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 07:25:29 AM »
....and another!
Cheers!
--Bob