Author Topic: Yellowed Decals  (Read 2173 times)

Offline KirkH

Yellowed Decals
« on: January 19, 2018, 01:17:11 AM »
Can anything be done about decals that have sat so long in the box they have yellowed?  I've tried hanging them in a window to get some sunlight, but I fear "unyellowing" may take the same amount of time it took for them to yellow - 20+ years.  Plus I'm not sure how good they'll be once they do lighten up.  If they can't be recovered, does anyone know of good sources for after market decals?  Thanks.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Yellowed Decals
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 07:21:21 AM »
What kit are you working on, Kirk?  One of us may have what you're looking for.  Also, Pheon is an excellent source for decals of WWI subjects.  https://www.pheondecals.com/
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline rayb24

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 09:02:21 AM »
There is a way to somewhat get rid of the yellow. That's to put them in the sun, usually a sunny window and monitor. Sometimes works, but do check them often. Obviously not where the elements can get to them..

Ray

Offline KirkH

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 11:05:40 AM »
Ray - A few weeks ago I taped them to the inside of a window that faces the sun, but I'm not sure how long that process takes.  Is it a matter of days, weeks, months?  I'm wondering if I need to put this kit away for awhile or if it's something that can remain on the front shelf while I wait.

Bud - I got the kit (a 1/48th DML/Dragon Fokker DVII) maybe 20+ years ago, so that's how long the decals were sitting in the box.  I've taken a look at the Pheon site and I see they have a couple offerings for DVII's.

Thanks for the input guys.

Kirk

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 04:03:46 PM »
Hi, Kirk.
Maybe one of your girlfriend's / wife's girls have a UV-lamp for hardening the paint for their fingernails. You can use this quiet easy. It bleachens the yellow out of the decals. It works reliable and I have done that several times.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline rayb24

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 06:31:09 PM »
Depending on where you are in the world, the amount and strength of the sun isn't that great especially in winter. So the sun method can take weeks. Perhaps as Mannie mentioned a uv lamp might accelerate the process.

Other than that its down to new decals I think.

Ray

Offline KirkH

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 11:24:22 PM »
I guess there's also one other option should I choose to pursue it.  A while back I bought a really old Sterling balsa SE-5/Fokker DVIII combo kit that came with decals that were in really sad shape.  My solution was to scan the decals into my computer, use the paint program to fix all the problems, and then print the fixed decals out on decal paper.  Of course there's the other age-old alternative of just putting the kit aside and dragging out another one to build.  Lord knows I have MORE than enough kits sitting in the closet waiting for attention.

Thanks again for the input.

Kirk

Offline rayb24

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 12:27:46 PM »
What model are you building Kirk. Someone might have spare decals, if not there are lots of aftermarket as well, that are probably better and often more accurate
Ray

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 02:31:51 AM »
One thing I have noticed with older Japanese printed decals like those in old Dragon and Hasegawa kit, is that the whites are usually printed as ivory. It's just the way they are, no amound of light will fix that.
If the carrier film is yellowed, UV light or the window (can take some time!) should usually work.