Author Topic: Roden 1/32 Nieuport 24  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Stonewall34

Roden 1/32 Nieuport 24
« on: January 14, 2018, 01:53:22 PM »
Just have a question about this kit.  Does anybody have any good ideas about how to attach the bottom wings to the fuselage reliably?
I am open to any suggestions.
Frank

Offline Softscience

Re: Roden 1/32 Nieuport 24
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 02:10:20 AM »
For what its worth (which isn't much), here is an excerpt from Tom Cleaver's build review of the kit on modelingmadness.com

"After gluing the lower wings in position, I made the horrible discovery that the two wings are not the same dimension!  Not knowing which was which, I ended up assembling the upper wing after gluing the cabane struts in position.  I then tacked the interplane “V” struts in their proper position on the upper wing, then took each lower wing and “eyeball measured” them to fit. Neither was actually right, and I ended up cutting differing amounts off the inboard tips and then shaping that area to fit the fuselage."

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 05:54:13 AM »
not knowing much about the roden kit i can guess a bit..
I am working on a 1/48 eduard Ni-11 at the moment, but that one has a continuing bottom wing and I assume the Roden kit has seperate wings?
I would drilll at least 1 hole trough to fuselage, 2 would be better.
Place a hollow tube inside the hole(s) and drill and place brass rods in the wings, in a size that fits nicely inside that tube.
That would give you a very strong bottom wing attatchment and gives you the freedom to paint and finish the wings seperate from the fuselage

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 10:05:07 AM »
I just want to offer my fulsome sympathy. I've had a nightmare time with those bottom wings, on two builds; I pulled the fat out of the fire once, but was beaten the other time.
This won't help much, I'm afraid, but my impression was that it's crucial to get the front two fuselage/'cabane' struts right, ie. exactly the same height. The problem, as you've probably noticed for yourself, is the internal engineering which makes that quite hard to achieve. Then the rest of the strut geometry is thrown out of alignment.
Good luck...
Mark

Offline Softscience

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 02:22:50 PM »
I just picked one of these kits up today. It was deeply discounted at a hobby shop closing sale.

If you find a solution, please post here. If I find a solution, I'll post here.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 04:33:40 PM »
not knowing much about the roden kit i can guess a bit..
I am working on a 1/48 eduard Ni-11 at the moment, but that one has a continuing bottom wing and I assume the Roden kit has seperate wings?
I would drilll at least 1 hole trough to fuselage, 2 would be better.
Place a hollow tube inside the hole(s) and drill and place brass rods in the wings, in a size that fits nicely inside that tube.
That would give you a very strong bottom wing attatchment and gives you the freedom to paint and finish the wings seperate from the fuselage

That's exactly the way I would do it too.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.