Author Topic: Fokker DVII Exhaust Color Options  (Read 3462 times)

Offline KirkH

Fokker DVII Exhaust Color Options
« on: January 13, 2018, 11:39:36 AM »
Page 13 of the Wingnut Wings (Fok) "Early" instructions calls out two color options for the exhaust, "j" and "v".  When I go to page 2 of the instructions where it lists the colors, option "j" is rust color but there is no color "v".  Does anyone know what the other color is?  Thanks. 

Offline Petie2nd

Re: Fokker DVII Exhaust Color Options
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 03:28:50 PM »
In the instructions for the original WNW D.VII (Fok) release, V is Steel. Probably a bit of cut 'n paste, but didn't put all of the colors in the new color chart.

Rich

Offline KirkH

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 07:39:51 AM »
Thanks for the help.  I looked through my other WnW kits to see if maybe they had a color "v" in them, but the kits appear to have most of their colors associated with different letters.  The first few colors are generally the same ("a" is brass, "b" is gun metal, "c" is aluminum), but when you get to the end of the list for each plane they vary greatly.  The color callouts in the instructions are generally the color of the color (if that makes sense) so in looking at the color the "v" sits in it appears to be a black of some sort.  So if I don't use the rust color I'll probably use some sort of metallic black.  I guess it just comes down to whether one wants to show their plane as factory new (metallic black) or weathered to some degree (rust).

Thanks again.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 09:34:13 AM »
Kirk,
   Keep in mind that the discoloration from natural metal to that rust color is mainly due to the effect of the hot exhaust gases on the metal exhaust pipes, so is present to some degree right from the first engine run........... There is an Alclad II color "Exhaust Manifold" ALC 123 that produces a very realistic finish, especially with a little highlighting by dry brushing with a rust color or pigment. I highly recommend the stuff.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 08:38:42 PM »
Kirk,
   Keep in mind that the discoloration from natural metal to that rust color is mainly due to the effect of the hot exhaust gases on the metal exhaust pipes, so is present to some degree right from the first engine run

I'd really like to see some evidence of that. Car exhausts don't instantly rust, they will even keep paint on for quite a time, so I'm surprised at the choice of 'metal' or 'rust' in the instructions. My guess is black going to 'distressed'

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Berman

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 01:36:50 AM »
 I do not think that WWI exhaust pipes were ever painted. I am fairly sure that very high temperature paints did not exist at that time.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 04:14:24 AM »
I do not think that WWI exhaust pipes were ever painted. I am fairly sure that very high temperature paints did not exist at that time.

I bet they left the factory painted with something

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 04:28:09 AM »
    Like many other riddles of color and configuration etc. we'll probably never know the 100% correct answer. B&W photographs and the passage of time are tough to contend with.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 04:48:34 AM »
    Like many other riddles of color and configuration etc. we'll probably never know the 100% correct answer. B&W photographs and the passage of time are tough to contend with.
Cheers,
Lance

They are indeed, so that leaves custom and practice to fall back on

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 05:46:06 AM »
We paint car exhausts?

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 06:02:55 AM »
We paint car exhausts?

Fraid so, usually silver. At last the tubular metal ones, not the cast ones

I'm on a losing wicket here TBH as I can't prove it either way for the reasons Lance pointed out

My instinct is that tubular exhausts and stubs would have been painted black to stop them corroding after manufacture. In use, they would burn off the paint and go metallic with oxidising colours on them (not rust). If this was done in the presence of oil (which would have to be a deliberate act) that produces a relatively rust proof finish too. After long enough exposure to water, they would indeed rust.

Cast manifolds would be grey metallic when new, rusty not long afterwards

Interesting to speculate about, hard to prove

Richard

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 07:13:45 AM »
We paint car exhausts?

Mine, even from my old 1960s camper van, have always been galvanized, chromed or (the luxury!) been stainless steel...
Can't speak for the older stuff, though!

For my DVII I've bookmarked this thread:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=2015.0

Jeroen

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 08:04:34 AM »
mine too.....

Offline AROTH

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 12:10:28 PM »
We paint car exhausts?

Fraid so, usually silver. At last the tubular metal ones, not the cast ones

I'm on a losing wicket here TBH as I can't prove it either way for the reasons Lance pointed out

My instinct is that tubular exhausts and stubs would have been painted black to stop them corroding after manufacture. In use, they would burn off the paint and go metallic with oxidising colours on them (not rust). If this was done in the presence of oil (which would have to be a deliberate act) that produces a relatively rust proof finish too. After long enough exposure to water, they would indeed rust.

Cast manifolds would be grey metallic when new, rusty not long afterwards

Interesting to speculate about, hard to prove

Richard

I am thinking along the same lines. Even if painted when new, the intense heat they would be exposed to during the first full flight would probably burn off most of it.

Just a theory.......

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 12:32:05 PM »
    Jamo's photos of numerous different exhaust manifolds and pipes in Jeroen's post are the colors I strive for. Although the "rust" color apparent in the majority is probably more heat discoloration more so then the effects of moisture the color is very common. Interesting discussion!
Cheers,
Lance