Author Topic: Planet Rumpler C.I 1/48 under way  (Read 7066 times)

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
Planet Rumpler C.I 1/48 under way
« on: January 12, 2018, 03:06:29 AM »
One New Year's resolution is to finish some kits that got stalled along the way.  Planet Rumpler is a resin kit that arrived with warped fuselage halves, warped wings, no instrument panel and several pin holes in the engine louvers.  But its an attractive, early war German two-seater so its made its way back on the work bench.  I spent considerable time trying to hid the upper deck seam and after numerous coats of putty, Tamiya fine surface primer, various grades of sand paper it looks fine.  Sanded down the rib tapes as I thought they looked a little over stated. 

Got a new air brush compressor two days ago that's very quiet and now waiting on a Mr. Gunze paint booth to arrive.  Then I can paint year round and bump up my kit production.  The wing struts on this kit are also resin and the prototype ones are very thin so will replace with some brass ones.  Still need clearance from my eye doctor to get back to my 'normal' physical duties so I can't use my brass sheer device to make the struts until he sees me.  Am sure I can keep myself entertained making up the cockpit parts until then.   

Charlie

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline xan

Re: Planet Rumpler C.I 1/48 under way
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 08:33:38 PM »
Waow i likek very much german early planes...
is it a good resin kit? Planet models use to be...
i take a chair!
Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 10:10:21 PM »
Xan
Like I outlined you'll have to deal with the warped fuselage halves (boiling water and a flat surface fixed), warped wings (hair dryer fixed), minor bubble holes in the resin (putty to the rescue), resin struts that are the wrong shape (am going to replace with brass), very minor interior parts (scratch-building what's needed) and the rib tapes are overstated (lightly sanded to reduce). 

On the plus side;  wonderful decals for two a/c, wings and tail feathers castings are thin and a nice sheet of PE for seat belts and MGs.   Typical of resin kits the lower wings need to be pinned with brass wire for strength and most my building time will be making new struts.

Charlie

Offline Borsos

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 12:09:05 AM »
Sorry to hear about all these warped parts! When I built mine I hadn't these issues. Maybe the kit was wrongly stored by somebody before you bought it? I really enjoyed the built but nevertheless replacing the struts with brassrod and filling some air bubbles is unavoidable. Mine is finished for about 5 years now and these thin resin wings start to sag a little...
Best regards
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 12:33:49 AM »
I am looking forward to seeing this one done, looks amazing so far.
When you have the time, can you show us your method for making the new brass stuts?
I have several resin plane waiting and my supply of strutz brass profiles is getting very low... would love to have some more ideas or options for that!
good luck with the build

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 03:28:55 AM »
I wish I had an inexpensive method I could pass along for making brass struts by t don't.  About 20 years ago a friend and modeler gave me a metal sheer that weights about 30 pounds and will cut brass sheet in thin strips.  I just cut a number of strips and the file the edges round to make up the struts.   

Offline Borsos

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 04:48:48 AM »
Albion Alloys "The strutter" + brass tube ... works like a charm:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8340.0
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 08:31:29 AM »
This may turn out to be a flop but I want to show the CDL with the ribs and national markings showing on the underside of the wings.  I'll spray the model with an ivory color and hopefully these will show through the paint. 

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 08:35:43 AM »
Albion Alloys "The strutter" + brass tube ... works like a charm:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8340.0
Borsos

Borsos
I actually bought some brass tube and wire to use this method initially but the Rumpler C.I struts are very small in their cross section.  I'll try my initial method and use this as a fallback. 
Thanks
Charlie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 08:42:23 AM »
An outstanding piece of work to date Charlie! This one is looking fabulous!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 08:56:59 AM »
Hello, Charlie's modelling again!

Good to see you back at the bench

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 12:40:31 AM »
I drew in the wing structure and national marking with a black pencil and over sprayed with a off white paint this week.  I'll redo the lower wings but am ok with how the top wing came out.  Got in some copper and brass rods this week and am going to tackle the wings struts next.  The naval hex peaking below the Rumpler is the W.12 I'm working on at the same time.  Why not torture oneself with building two resin kits at the same time?

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 02:16:52 AM »
Very fine work on the wings, Charlie!  And glad to see you back on the W.12!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 10:42:35 PM »
Excellent work on the wings! Two at once seems perfectly normal to me  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline boggie

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 10:52:17 AM »
Excellent translucency effect on the wings Charlie!

Nice work!  :)