Author Topic: Greim D.VII engine type  (Read 1114 times)

Offline jeroen_R90S

Greim D.VII engine type
« on: January 11, 2018, 01:45:16 AM »
When dryfitting, checking and testing everything before closing up my Greim DVII (build thread update will follow after that act!) I compared it to the picture of the original to see how it came about and looked.
Then I noticed something I hadn't seen before:

(you can click it for a larger version)

That bump near the forward strut appears to be the tall air pump of the 180HP engine... where I built, detailed, weathered and totally completed my engine as the 200HP as indicated in the instructions! I also assembled it all with normal glue, not CA, so not much chance of taking it apart and change the appropriate parts if it is indeed the 180HP version...

Anyone have more information on Greim's machine other than the 2 pictures in the instructions? In the Albatros D.VII anthology there aren't any extra pictures either.
Any guesses anyone? Does it indeed look like the tall air pump? (coincidence perhaps, but Greim's machine was supposed to be 833/18, where Nickchen IV was 817/18 and that had the 180HP engine  for sure... though swapping around did obviously happen.

Now that I think I see what I saw it sticks out like a sore thumb...

Jeroen

PS I also emailed Richard from WNW if he has any extra info or opions

Offline jeroen_R90S

Re: Greim D.VII engine type
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 07:17:30 AM »
Had a reply from Richard at WNW -could indeed be a 180hp air pump. Until more or better images surface, we'll never know for sure I guess... Either way, I robbed a new sprue from one of my other (few) WNW kits and will build that as a 180HP engine...

Jeroen