Author Topic: SAPMA Show Results  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
SAPMA Show Results
« on: October 08, 2012, 09:35:30 PM »
The South Australian Plastic Model Association show was held on the weekend, Our member, Sean (modelmaker) attended the show and has forwarded me the following photos. Steve Robson, also one of our members, entered his Black Pfalz and took first place  while Sean entered his Fe.2b and took second place, these were two well deserved wins. Thanks Sean for sending the photos.
Photos were taken on Seans' i-phone

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: SAPMA Show Results
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »
It looks as though there was a good turnout of WWI aircraft which is very good to see. I haven't been to a show for a few years but as I remember, biplanes were a pretty scarce commodity. It appears that they're gaining in popularity, and rightly so, as in my humble opinion, they outshine aircraft models of any other aviation period.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 11:46:04 PM »
Some very nice stuff on display, and two great entries from Sean and Steve; congratulations Guys!
Cheers,
Lance

Dekenba

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 01:35:57 AM »
The black Pfalz looks great.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 05:09:08 PM »
Congratulations to Steve and Sean - great effort guys!!

Looks like there where quite a few stringbag entries.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline szymon

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 04:39:00 AM »
Congratulations to the winners, good work, the black Pfalz  is beautiful

Regards
Simon
IPMS SILESIA

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 12:30:30 PM »
Thank you all for you kind words about the SAPMA comp and entries by Sean (modelmaker) and myself.

Good results with your i-Phone Sean, I’m glad you had the piece-of-mind to take some photos.

The Pfalz has a laminated wooden propeller supplied by The Micro Group, these props are just stunning.

I'm very impressed by Sean's Fe.2b.  Do you think I could get away with putting German national markings on one? (just love this aeroplane)

P.S.  In the spirit of good fun, I'm rather hoping to get both Sean(modelmaker) and Paul Carpenter in the sights of my Fokker Eindecker's Spandau for next year's SAPMA competition.  Yes, that was a gauntlet chaps!

The Fokker Scourge returns.

Cheers
Steven
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 01:09:29 PM by Steven Robson »
Make Otto your motto for lovely spoked wheels.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 01:39:19 PM »
....Do you think I could get away with putting German national markings on one? (just love this aeroplane)....

Don't see why not Steven....surely the German's captured one and put their markings on it - if they did I'm sure someone here has proof??

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 02:15:45 PM »
Thanks whiteknuckles

I’m sure you’re right on this one.

I have considered building an un-marked version.  Sean(modelmaker) showed me a photo over the weekend of The Red Baron climbing into one that he just shot down.

However, I do draw the line and only build German aeroplanes.

I’m rather hoping to goad both gentlemen into some sporting-good-fun as a mark of my respect for their model making.

I’ll be over the skies of Melbourne for their State comp early 2013 with a Roland D.VI

I'd like to catch them both with their canvas wheel covers down.

Cheers
Steven   
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:46:28 PM by Steven Robson »

modelmaker

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 04:14:10 PM »
Hmmm now your tempting me Steven , might have to take you up on that one !! I've been seriously considering the Eindecker for my next build , would look beautiful with a set of your lovely wheels on it :) what the heck your on !! Just got to get Paul on board now.

Sean

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 04:33:25 PM »
Greatings Modelmaker

Glad you’ll accept the challenge!

My bet is that Mr Carpenter (Carpo) will not be able to resist.

I just PM'ed the gauntlet to him, he either picks it up or buys me a slab (that's Australian for a dozen) of fine Victorian beers.

And, yes, I'm on the last leg of the Roland D.VI build with the added excitment of expecting my Fokker Eindeckers any-day-now in the post.

Pick-up the gauntlet Mr Carpo or forefit those beers. (you have two Eindeckers on your tail)

Does anyone have the dates for the Melbourne show?

Regards
Steven

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 05:01:24 PM by Steven Robson »

Offline Carpo

• A gallery of my Models
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 04:48:52 PM »
Hi Sean, Steven,
Not sure if the Eindekker will make it to the table from my work bench but all WnW have to do is release their Snipe and it is a sure thing you will see it on the table next October.
I have some interesting plans for it........
Congrtulations to you both for your fine models. Black is so tricky to do - well done.
The Fee really is beautiful - I expect there was not much to separate them on the score board.
Carpo
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:50:24 PM by Carpo »
The air force will always need technicians because pilots need heroes too.

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 05:30:18 PM »
Thanks Carpo

Be careful modelmaker, I think Mr Carpo just slipped into the clouds, I suspect he’ll try Snipe-ing us (WnW permitting) from below.

And thank you Mr Carpo for your help with judging on the weekend.

Reckon I'll need some help from The Red Barron and Des with that polished engine cowling on the Eindecker.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 05:32:50 AM »
Congratulations, Sean and Steven! It seems black biplanes rule!  :)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 09:25:46 AM »
Thank you Przemol

Black Riders have always ruled Middle Earth.

One plane to rule them all, One plane to find them
One plane to take them all and in the darkness grind them
In the land of Oz where Black Pfalz rules the skies.

(you're so arrogant Steven, they will make you pay for this).
 :P

Anyway, enough of the silliness, I got lucky at these comps and frequently, don’t.  Sean’s was a great model and very complex.
Carl Degelow’s all-black Pfalz is very emotive.  I spent a long time searching for the right colour scheme for the Pfalz and I have a theory about modelling.  It’s not well formulated but it goes something like this..

Model aeroplanes with very simple colour schemes are more appealing to the eye.  A simple scheme has the effect of highlighting the detail, the rigging and in this case the wheels.  It is the complex symmetrical (negative) shapes between the rigging that appeals to me.  I believe simple colour schemes create an unconscious visual tension.  People who like WW1 models at the shows don't stand still, they look from many different angles,  it's the complexity of the model that holds their attention.

That’s why I’m drawn to the German proto-types with clear doped linen wings, solid colour schemes and less decals.     

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 09:43:32 PM by Steven Robson »