Author Topic: Two Sets of decals for the new WNW Sopwith Dolphin  (Read 6210 times)

Offline rowan broadbent

Two Sets of decals for the new WNW Sopwith Dolphin
« on: December 17, 2017, 02:42:46 AM »
Wingnut Wings Christmas model announcement of the Sopwith Dolphin was perhaps something of a surprise – mind you anything would have been, thanks to their excellent security – I do love this aspect of their operation.  And what a subject! I have always loved the Dolphin and for anyone who joined the minor chorus of whingers wanting Fokker Dr.Is (pointless – the Roden kit with Aviattic resin add-ons and tailored streaking decals and our own forthcoming etched parts and a whole mass of marking decals will give you a great result) and a santa’s list of other alternative kits – tough luck! – your turn will come, no doubt. My first Dolphin arrived a couple of days ago and if you were wondering whether to buy one, wonder not – it is just beautiful and will build into a wonderful model.

We had already released decals intended for the accurate - if short-run - Blue Max kits in 1/48th scale a few years ago. This time we have added a number of new marking options and revisited the original markings, updating them where needed' in the light of new information available in the excellent book jointly produced by the RAF Museum and Cross & Cockade International. This volume is most thoroughly recommended and the contributing authors may be regarded as being among  the most authoritative on the subject. The book's colour photos of the recent RAF reconstruction (now to be seen at the Hendon RAF Museum), the superb profiles from Juanita Franzi and precise and accurate drawings from Mick Davies, are among the best of their type. We have also taken note of WNW’s own research, particularly on the use of differing shades of Service or Battleship Grey and the use of PC10 type pigmented paint for wood and metal areas and incorporated this in our re-drawn profiles.

Subjects covered are:

32077 Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin Volume 1

1. E4514, Lt C.M Moore July 1918. 19 Sqn.
2. C3799 Capt. G.B.Irving (Canadian) Summer 1918. 19 Sqn.
3. E4587, Pilot unknown. Twin Lewis on lower wings. 87 Sqn.
4. C4157 “Muddles”, Lt.C.E.Worthington. August 1918. 87 Sqn.

5. C4155 Lt.R.M.Macdonald (Canadian) September 1918. 87 Sqn.
6. C4130, “Vic” Lt.H.N.Compton, (Canadian) November 1918. 23 Sqn.
7. D3669 Capt.A.B.Fairclough, (Canadian) July 1918. 23 Sqn.
8. C4131 Capt.F.I.Lord (American), June 1918. Also flown by Maj.N.W.Noel, Capt.J.D.Canning all of 79 Sqn.

All Sopwith-built

32078 Sopwith Dolphin Volume 2

N.B. The artwork says Volume 1 - it should be Volume 2 - we'll change it in due course....

1. 4th Dolphin Prototype (initially without serial – later B6871), St Omer, France October 1917
2. C8189, Lt.F.J.Stevenson. 79 Sqn.
3. H7244, Capt F.W.Gillet (American) 79 Sqn.
4. C3905, Lt.A.F.G.Clarke, March 1918 79 Sqn.

5. C4168 Maj J.C.Callaghan 87 Sqn.
6. D3775 Pilot not known 87 Sqn. Twin Lewis guns on lower wing.
7. J9 Pilot not known 93 Sqn. HE Kenley Aerodrome, Surrey, November, 1918.
8. C3947 Pilot not known 92 Sqn. HE Tangmere Aerodrome, west Sussex - armed with a single Lewis gun. May 1918.

9. E4764 81 Sqn./ 1 Sqn. CAF
10. F7085 81 Sqn./ 1 Sqn. CAF

All Sopwith-built, except for option 7, which was built by Hooper & Co and option 10 which was from Darraq production.

Where known we will list the early or late production attributes applicable from kit parts.

If all goes well we also intend to provide a small kit of parts for wire-netting radiator guards and prop face-plates and resin attachment nuts.

Prices and availability

We hope to have both of these decal sets available at the end of January/ early February 2018 - depending on our printer holidays.

As usual, we are offering a substantial reduction for pre-orders (up to and including Sunday 28th January 2018) and particularly for pre-orders for both sets.

Prices will be as follows:

32077 Full price £12.75
Pre-order for  this set only £11.50

32078 Full Price £10.50
Pre-order for this set only £9.50

Pre-order for both sets 32077 & 32078  £19.00

(Full Price for both £23.25)

all prices exclude shipping
Happy Christmas to all!

Rowan & Sabine
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 06:16:55 PM by Dave W »
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Two Sets of decals for the new WNW Sopwith Dolphin
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 03:02:14 AM »
Thank you, Rowan!  There are some excellent options there.  Carol bought the WNW Dolphin for me for Christmas, so I'll have to wait another 8 days before I get to see what a wonderful kit it is.  Just as well, because I'll be wanting to use your decals on it.  You might think that I'd want to do my uncle's bus, but I already have the Blue Max kit built in his markings.  Besides, the WNW decals for his plane are incomplete.  They don't provide the 23 Sqdn disc for the starboard top plane or the black 'U' for the port underside or the white circle for the wheel covers.  You got that right on your 1/48 sheet.  Therefore, I'll probably use a 19 Sqdn or 79 Sqdn option for the WNW kit.
Thanks again for taking such good care of us, mate.
Get healthy and stay well!  Hoping to see you at SMW 2018!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 03:02:28 AM »
Excellent selection, Rowan.  ;)

Cheers,
Bob

P.S. I'm happy to be called a whinger.    ::)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 05:00:46 AM »
Hi, Rowan,

I'll launch my formal preorder request immediately, if not sooner! Many thanks for the selection!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 05:03:28 AM »
Hi, Rowan,

I'll launch my formal preorder request immediately, if not sooner! Many thanks for the selection!  8)

Me too for volume 1! I was going to do G.B. Irvings even if I had to do my own markings. This makes my life Much Easier. Thanks Rowan.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 07:44:35 AM »
Thank you, Rowan!  There are some excellent options there.  Carol bought the WNW Dolphin for me for Christmas, so I'll have to wait another 8 days before I get to see what a wonderful kit it is.  Just as well, because I'll be wanting to use your decals on it.  You might think that I'd want to do my uncle's bus, but I already have the Blue Max kit built in his markings.  Besides, the WNW decals for his plane are incomplete.  They don't provide the 23 Sqdn disc for the starboard top plane or the black 'U' for the port underside or the white circle for the wheel covers.  You got that right on your 1/48 sheet.  Therefore, I'll probably use a 19 Sqdn or 79 Sqdn option for the WNW kit.
Thanks again for taking such good care of us, mate.
Get healthy and stay well!  Hoping to see you at SMW 2018!
Cheers,
Bud

Rowan,

Is it too late to ad a "correction/fill in" decals  for  the above ?? And the White "U" on the upper wing per Ospery  Aces #48 Book

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 08:37:05 AM »
"Get healthy and stay well!  Hoping to see you at SMW 2018!"

Bud, now that would be a fantastic reason to hit SMW 2018. I made it this year so might have a challenge convincing SWMBO that I should go again so soon. But I'd have a year to work on it!

Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 03:59:18 PM »
Just sent in a pre-order of each sheet x 2.  Happy Christmas to all!
Honor Necessity

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 01:07:00 AM »
   I just pre-ordered both sets as well! Really looking forward to these ones and getting the Kit in the new year. Thanks Rowan and Sabine for your superb efforts and all that you do for WWI Modelling!
Merry Christmas all!
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 02:04:39 AM »
I too fell "victim" to "Dolphin Mania" and pre-ordered both sets.  SMW18, wouldn't that be a venue for a "Mafia" gathering?
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 02:23:37 AM »
     Ohhhhhh Gunns, don't go there! The Canadian Mafia has a tendency to do the unlikely and impossible as we've seen! On the other hand think of all the postage and handling fees we'd save....... :o ::)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 04:39:34 AM »
Jumping on the bandwagon, I've pre-ordered both sets as well. It's a unique looking aircraft to my amateur eye and how could I resist three Canadian marking schemes? They'll look great alongside my Captured Fokker D-VII in No.1 Sqn CAF markings, also courtesy of Rowan.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 01:55:24 AM »
I received my Invoice yesterday, now paid, and hopefully my decals will be winging their way to North Carolina soon  ;D
RAGIII
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 03:26:44 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 10:41:07 AM »
Mine just arrived today, and they look marvelous! I’m going to need more dolphins!