Author Topic: Morane-Saulnier Type N, Eduard 1/48  (Read 6493 times)

Bughunter

Morane-Saulnier Type N, Eduard 1/48
« on: December 13, 2017, 08:11:17 AM »
Morane-Saulnier Type N  

Hello my friends,
here is model number six of this year!
During the work on my other projects I got an invitation to a private modeler meeting in Austria. I was asked to take the new models with me, but I wanted to show a surprise - a new freshly build model.
So I have to build it non-public, sorry my friends! I checked my stash and decided for a Morane-Saulnier Type N. This kit promised a fast build: small, no biplane or let alone triplane, only small amount of parts.
After four weeks in October the task was done.

This Eduard kit (2004) is really fantastic, in details, quality and fit! It is very rare now.
There was a normal kit and a Profipack, I used here the normal one and the Profipack-PE (provided by a friendly person).

As usual I used additional parts: a Small Stuff rotary engine, "French seat belts" of the new Steel-series of Eduard and brass and nickel silver for some scratch work. the rigging was done with Gaspatch turnbuckles of different types and fishing line to stabilize the model.

I like the outcome, because it shows so many details:  the safety bond of the bonnet, the gear, the rib tapes ... On the other hand the painting could be done better.
For painting I used Alclad, MRP, Gunze and acryl of AK for the wood painting. The weathering was done with oils, the chipped paint effect was applied with hairspray.

After the event has taken place I can show now this model - the surprise was successful! I have taken pictures during the build so I can show a post hoc build report if you like.

Enough text - now the pictures of this small and filigree fighter:

A view from below shows a lot of the engine:

A funny picture: I tried a rotation of the propeller during exposure: 

Have fun with the pictures!
Cheers,
Frank

Offline IanB

Re: Morane-Saulnier Type N, Eduard 1/48
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 08:20:43 AM »
Beautifully done Frank! I love the Type N, it just looks right. I built the old Revell one a while back and it took a lot of work to correct. This looks like a much simpler, but far better, build!

Ian

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 08:47:29 AM »
A very fine model. Colourful and nicely built.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 09:03:52 AM »
Congratulations Frank on another beauty.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 09:07:22 AM »
I love it!  What shade of red did you use?  It's perfect.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 11:41:56 AM »
Very nice built!  The small rib tabes are usually missed by most modelers.  Assume you used decals for these or a Micron pen?
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline rayb24

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 12:52:19 PM »
Very nice Morane, and captures the pugnacious look of the aircraft... very well done

Ray

Offline Borsos

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 02:55:57 PM »
Breathtaking Morane, as wonderfull as your other models. The Morane Saulnier N is one of my most favoured and you did her justice in every way. There's just a small thing that I am not too sure anout: As far as I know only the British Morane Saulniers had their engine covers and front parts including landing gear struts painted red. They wanted to ease distinction between their Moranes and the German Fokker monoplanes. But all French flown Moranes like yours kept the factory black color.
Best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 04:30:26 PM »
Oh my! Frank, this little plane looks great like all of your models. Chapeau!!!
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 05:11:56 PM »
You can't ask for more - Excellent build.
Well done.

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline ondra

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 06:50:48 PM »
Great job, I really like the chipping on the metal parts, congratulations!

And wow, sixth model this year, your building pace is really admirable, especially in this high quality.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 08:20:42 PM »
Very well done Frank, the finish on this model is excellent and you have done a superb job with the rigging.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 11:08:13 PM »
Frank,
    I missed this earlier, superbly done all round! I really like the rigging you've done, so easy to over do on this design but you've kept it in scale and very "real" looking. Nice work!
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 03:38:06 AM »
Thank you very much my friends for your great feedback!

What shade of red did you use?  It's perfect.
Bud, I used the Gunze normal red, H13.

The small rib tabes are usually missed by most modelers.  Assume you used decals for these or a Micron pen?
No. All decal stripes were to wide. A friend tried to cut decals and masks, which failed too. For painting with pen I could not do such amount of stripes in a clean way. After a lot of experimenting at the end I used a fine thread used normally by ship modelers. I will show a picture in the build thread.

There's just a small thing that I am not too sure anout: As far as I know only the British Morane Saulniers had their engine covers and front parts including landing gear struts painted red. They wanted to ease distinction between their Moranes and the German Fokker monoplanes. But all French flown Moranes like yours kept the factory black color.
Andreas, I was not aware of this! Now it is to late, but I'm feeling fine with the actual finish.
I just used the Eduard painting guide (I will show it in the build thread) showing a black and a red one. I have seen also galleries of finished models, but no one discussed this issue. Later I found this picture, but I find it often hard to distinguish between red and black on those pictures.

Source: http://warbirds-online.org

And wow, sixth model this year, your building pace is really admirable, especially in this high quality.
This was the rate of the last three years. Funny enough, exactly 6 and not 5 and the other year 7 ;)  I thought I could finish 7 this year, but now I run out of time with my Lebed build, so this will be the first model in 2018.

Lance you don't missed it! It was just online, but all my other friends here posted so much in a very short time :D

Thanks again, your feedback is highly appreciated!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 04:24:28 AM »
Wonderful execution !  Ad my compliments to all of the above !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.