Author Topic: Sopwith F.1 Camel (LeRhone) Major Donald R. MacLaren  (Read 6207 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Sopwith F.1 Camel (LeRhone) Major Donald R. MacLaren
« on: December 13, 2017, 01:58:24 AM »
    Major Donald R. MacLaren, the highest scoring Camel Ace, shot down 54 enemy aircraft in just 7 months on the Western Front with 46 Squadron. MacLaren was a temperate young man, neither drank nor smoked, and was an accomplished marksman. He is reputed to have never carried any more then half the bullet capacity of his aircraft to reduce weight and sought to get as close to his prey as possible and use only a few bullets to finish them. A broken leg suffered in "horseplay" with a squadron mate ended his war in October of 1918. He is rated as the third highest scoring Canadian Ace of the Great War behind Billy Bishop and Raymond Collishaw.
   MacLaren left the budding Canadian Air Force in 1920 and was prominent in the development of civil aviation in Canada until advanced age forced him to retire.  I met this man and conversed with him in 1982 at a Military function, a great honor I shall never forget. A very modest man, he commented to me that he and his fellow pilots in the Great War were "just doing their duty" as were we young fellows of today. It was a great moment!
   This is the Wingnut Wings LeRhone Camel release done as the aircraft MacLaren scored his final 9 kills in, F2137 which, in all the available reference photos, had an extremely weathered and oil damaged finish which I've attempted to replicate. F2137 is scheme D in the Wingnut Wings Kit. I've started the following photos with a comparison of the Canadian War Museum's photo of MacLaren in the aircraft to a similar view of the model to illustrate the finish.

....... and following in no particular order are a number of views of the completed Build:

And that's it complete with the exception of the red streamers he carried on the interplane struts at times. I may add those later if I can find some suitable material. I enjoyed this Build and, with a few exceptions, it's a great Kit. My next Camel will see those tiny molded on rigging anchor points on the struts replaced with the old reliable Bob's buckles metal eyelets and I'd like to locate some metal alternatives to the flight control horns as well.
   You may have noted that the Rotherham Fuel Pump on the starboard rear Cabane does not match the museum photo however it is apparent in other views of the aircraft. The fabric "wrap" on the Cabane Struts also is not consistent between photos. I write both contradictions off to a difference in time when the photos were taken.
   Thanks for checking her out and your comments are most welcome!
Cheers,
Lance

« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 10:45:28 PM by lcarroll »

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: Sopwith F.1 Camel (LeRhone) Major Donald R. MacLaren
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 02:08:06 AM »
Lance, stunning results and great build log.  Simply a work of art.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 02:32:37 AM »
Lance, this is one of the finest examples of castor oil erosion I have ever seen.  Congratulations on a perfect replication of the original.  I plan on doing this plane in 1/48 scale and I would be thrilled beyond words if mine turned out half as well as yours.  Masterful!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 03:55:06 AM »
Thanks both, compliments such as these are so appreciated and I'm glad you like her! 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 04:00:24 AM »
The wear and tear effect that you have achieved on this is truly masterful. Not only are you a good modeller, you are a very good artist too. Those effects are so difficult to get right and so easy to get wrong......

This must be one of your best models to date, well worth the time and effort that you have put in, and all of the frustrations on the way! You have also provided a super detailed build log which I would recommend to anyone who wants to build this kit, irrespective of the colour scheme. This is a splendid memorial to a modest man made by an equally modest man: I am sure that he is looking down and saying a big thank you to you.

Stephen.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 05:33:37 AM »
Another fine example of the Modelers Artistry off the "Carroll Bench."  The end result is well worth the effort and a rewarding finish.  The weathering is almost an overlay from the original, as mentioned the castor oil staining and fabric paint chipping all top notch modeling Lance.  This one you can truly be proud of.  A hearty Bravo Zulu and OORAAH!
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 06:30:04 AM »
A superb tribute to a fine Warrior.
Thanks for sharing this build with us, Lance  ;)

Cheers,
Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 07:22:59 AM »
    Thank you all for your comments on the model and on Major Donald MacLaren.
    Stephen, this degree of weathering and finish damage was a new challenge and I enjoyed the experience. There were several failed attempts here and there but a "back to the drawing board" approach worked out in the end.
    Mark, I referenced your excellent recommendations and list of pitfalls in the Under Construction Build Log, and will be following them carefully in my next Camel attempt.
    Bob, I agree, he was indeed a fine Warrior!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 08:49:29 AM »
A very finely executed model, Lance. Congratulations. I only regret you hade to wear it so much :)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 04:37:51 PM »
Great model; Lance! Very good build and top paintjob but best is the worn and weathered condition of the plane.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 09:07:26 PM »
What a dirty bird! Excellent work here Lance and a great tribute to a brave flyer. I know this project involved more than a few trials and tribulations but you conquered them all to finish with a really unique looking model. We won't see many others take the chances you have executing a finish like this and you pulled it off magnificently. Including that reference photo was a very good idea so we can see just how 'rough' some of these aircraft looked during their service. This one will be hard to beat but I know that you'll do it somehow with your next projects.

Well done!!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 10:54:20 PM »
Prze,
    Coming from a Modeller of your skills I'm humbled by the compliment!
Manni,
    Thank you, your W.29 here is a pretty fine example of realism when it comes to severe weathering to say the very least! and.....
Chris,
    Thanks for looking and commenting, old friend! Your service as a "sounding board" during the darker hours of this Build sequence were very much appreciated!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline ondra

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 11:08:52 PM »
Excellent job, Lance, the build was pure joy to follow and the result is really great. Well worth the effort invested!

My hat is off to your weathering skills, sir.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 04:21:37 AM »
Ad my kudos to all the above compliments !!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 05:11:48 AM »
Ondra, Ed,
    Thanks for looking and for your comments. It's going to be interesting to do a "normal" Build of this Kit without all the finish damage. I'm still thinking about the next project but another Camel (I have the Clerget version) is not out of the running!
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:56:07 PM by lcarroll »