Author Topic: Special Hobby Nieuport 11 - Jean Navarre  (Read 5861 times)

Offline rayb24

Special Hobby Nieuport 11 - Jean Navarre
« on: December 10, 2017, 07:41:06 AM »
Started this in November but really haven't had much time to work on it. Its the first ww1 aircraft in 12 years and pretty much the first model in that time too. (Long case of "burnt out with models")

Anyway, the aircraft will be Jean Navarres N576 and built basically out of the box... That way it might get finished

Box top and Page from instructions with markings

fullsizeoutput_7c9 by Ray, on Flickr

IMG_5749 by Ray, on Flickr
In Progress shots

IMG_5745 by Ray, on Flickr

IMG_5746 by Ray, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_7c8 by Ray, on Flickr

Fuselage is together. The White is Mr Surfacer and filler. I mounted the wings today, they might have to come off as the mounting pin is very weak so we shall see. Oh the model that appears in one photo beside the Nieuport is a Morane that I had half finished 12 years ago, I'm toying with finishing it, lol I mean its sat half dressed for so many years, it deserves to get finished. I have a Bristol Fighter in the same predicament.... Not sure though, I have always had short attention spans, so doing to many at once could be the kiss of death
I will post more as I progress, It will be a snails pace though. Work and chores always seem to reduce time spent on hobbies to minutes in a day so this might take months...

Ray
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:59:11 PM by rayb24 »

Offline rayb24

Re: Special Hobby Nieuport 11 - Jean Navarre
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 11:04:40 PM »
Stupid question, I am using Flickr for images, but I’m not happy with the quality and how they display. Are there better sites and apps?
Also when I sealed the cockpit up, I knocked the seat loose along with a gauge so there will be some swearing once the fuselage is painted when I try to refit the seat...
Ray

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 11:28:34 PM »
Ray,
    Try Imgur, I switched over in the great exodus from PhotoBucket and really like it. Simple to use, no fees, and great quality photo reproduction.

https://imgur.com/

Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 11:45:14 PM »
Beautiful start Ray.  Like very much your scheme selection, looking forward to the progress on this colorful bird.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 12:20:51 AM »
as a Navarre fan who intends to build one of Navarre's Nieuports, i'm following closely. promising start.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 01:37:53 AM »
Looking really good so far! I am Happy to see you posting this build. The scheme you have chosen is very colorful and will look fanastic! As for the Morane, I have found that usually when I go back to something that has been around that long I tend to finish it even if I have to re start or re paint. There are exceptions....
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rayb24

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 03:08:29 AM »
Thanks everyone for the comments. Progress will be slow on this aircraft ;)

Lance I had noticed Imgur with yours  and some others images, much clearer images imho.  This post will have some more pictures of progress using that site.  Its a test post if you like, so far its darned easy to use though compared to flickr.

The Dihedral on the wings was wrong, in my eyes anyway. Gently reset them and taped down while glue sets. I won't touch them for a few days...  The problem with all special hobby models is the wings really have tiny plastic pins at best. The join therefore is a weak butt joint. I did use some brass rod, but its still not the strongest join and has me a bit worried when we get to rigging etc.  Ive noticed I have to fix the firewall gaps. It's not obvious until you see pictures, or I'd have done it before fitting the lower wing.  ;( 

I've started hollowing out the runs in the tailplane where the elevator lines pass through. Drilled and now hollowing out with gentle exacto cuts. Old school I know and now you can get PE Saw blades to make this easier, but this should work. I'll also have to do this for the Aileron pushrods in the fuselage too. Instructions would have you just stick the pushrods to the top of the fuselage, but there is a noticeable hole they pass through on the real thing which I'll add. 

Started on the LeRhone. Cleaned the resin up and fitted the intake tubes? But I'm not sure I'll use the PE Pushrods. They look nice, but very flat and it will show in this scale. I could use white glue to round them out a bit though or i could use brass rod. I'll also put plug wires in where they can be seen on the lower cylinders . I could go and do all cylinders, but the cowl would need hollowing out more. So I'll just fit them were they can be seen

One thing you notice on this aircraft is just how tiny and delicate the 11 was, it looks underscale but isn't, its just a really small aircraft.
I built this same aircraft 15 years ago or more in 1/72 and I hope this one captures the delicate and fragile look of the aircraft, it really make you admire the people who flew these, especially the Sesquiplanes (sp) with their built in problems in the lower wing.  Navarre is a very interesting character, comes across as the rich playboy with a conscience, who eventually gets chewed up by what we now understand as the mental issues men in combat suffer.

Ray Sorry got a bit wordy lol

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 02:13:43 AM »
Hi Ray,
I recently built this one so I'd be interested to see how you get on.
If you're interested here's a link to my build page where you can see shots of the finished model and also view or download a PDF build log, which has all the corrections or mods I included in the build.

http://www.thatoneplease.co/logs.html

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 02:49:47 AM »
Stupid question, I am using Flickr for images, but I’m not happy with the quality and how they display. Are there better sites and apps?
Also when I sealed the cockpit up, I knocked the seat loose along with a gauge so there will be some swearing once the fuselage is painted when I try to refit the seat...
Ray
Ray, I use Picasa/Google and that works well. Post image is something that I know the admin have been looking at but not sure how things have progressed on that front. The beauty of that is you can download from your PC with no need for an interface such as irmgur or Flickr.
Nice work on the 11 so far. 
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline UFAG

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 05:48:05 AM »
Using creditcards ( among others ) to set the right dihedral, love it..!!
Nice build so far...!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 02:24:24 AM »
Engine and drill work looks excellent!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 04:39:08 AM »
The holes in the tail unit look very tidy: if that is slow work then I shudder to think how my work pace would be described!

Stephen.

Offline rayb24

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 01:10:58 PM »
Lol Stephen, it was cold last Sunday so some progress was made. But I procrastinate and that slows me way down...

oh the credit cards are dummy cards. I work in a related industry so we get lots of blanks that are given out for marketing purposes... makes for free plastic card as long as they are sanded down, the metal foil from the chip cover can be useful too as it’s very thin.   

Thanks for the build log Sandbagger. I will use that if you don’t mind...

No progress over the past few days, Christmas activities are stealing good modelling time.

Ray

Offline xan

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 12:29:34 AM »
Hello Ray, if it can help you here is the mount of this plane i did at 1/48.
it's in french but you can find some informations  with the pics...
http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=79157&hilit=+verdun

Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline rayb24

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 01:24:45 PM »
Hello Ray, if it can help you here is the mount of this plane i did at 1/48.
it's in french but you can find some informations  with the pics...
http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=79157&hilit=+verdun

Xan
Thanks Xan. The pictures are great and being Canadian I can somewhat read the thread too. Lots of good info...
The Nieuport has taken a back seat to Christmas. Next week I should be able to get back to work not it.

[/size][size=78%]Ray [/size]