Author Topic: Von Buren Jasta 18 Fokker DVII  (Read 1592 times)

Offline KirkH

Von Buren Jasta 18 Fokker DVII
« on: December 08, 2017, 12:52:28 PM »
Getting ready to start Gunther Von Buren's Fokker DVII (Dragon 1/48th Knights of the Skies series) and noticed the kit shows both the upper and lower wing surfaces as being red.  Problem is, the Osprey Fokker DVII Aces (part 2) book shows other aircraft from Jasta 18 with lozenge on the lower wing surfaces.  Were Von Buren's wings truly red top and bottom or do I need to order some 1/48th scale lower lozenge decals?

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Von Buren Jasta 18 Fokker DVII
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 12:41:44 PM »
   I believe your question falls into the same file as many many others regarding the Real colours of our subjects. I've reviewed the Osprey books, both the Ace's ones and the Jasta 18 "Elite Units" volume and also taken a quick tour through the D.VII Anthology, and there appears to be no definitive answer. Rather, any comments on wing upper and lower finish state that a mix was likely; some had top and bottom surfaces in red, others had red top surfaces only and some had red only on the upper wing! The photos available don't help much, if at all.
   If I've learned anything in many years of WWI Modelling it's that there are few "definites", no one could really call you in error if you went either way! I'd lean very much towards red upper surfaces on both wings and 5 colour lower surface lozenge on both bottom surfaces, but it's your model! Whatever you choose enjoy the Build and I'll enjoy following your progress! 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline KirkH

Re: Von Buren Jasta 18 Fokker DVII
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 02:13:59 AM »
Thanks for the help.  With no clear cut answer, I'll probably do the lower surfaces in lozenge just because it would look better.  Thanks again.