Author Topic: Mick: Story of Major Edward Mannock, VC, DSO, MC, RFC, RAF  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Doug Mace

Mick: Story of Major Edward Mannock, VC, DSO, MC, RFC, RAF
« on: December 08, 2017, 02:23:34 AM »
Has anybody read or heard of this book by James M Dudgeon written in '81? I can't find a review. Fascinating guy, Mick, would like to know more...and/or if anybody can recommend any other books about young Mannock, I'd love to hear about them. Thanks              -M
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Mick: Story of Major Edward Mannock, VC, DSO, MC, RFC, RAF
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 07:20:53 AM »
Doug,
    I have not heard of this book until now.
    I have "Ace With One Eye" by Oughton and Smyth and also "King of Airfighters" by Ira Jones. Both are very good reads although I don't agree with the latter's pursuit of establishing Mannock's record at 73 victories vs. the 51 he himself claimed. I won't go further then that on the topic! Both these books though provide an impressive history of the man, one of the greatest aces of the conflict and a brilliant tactical leader. I recommend both as well worth pursuing!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline rayb24

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 09:29:00 AM »
I don't agree with the latter's pursuit of establishing Mannock's record at 73 victories vs. the 51 he himself claimed. I won't go further then that on the topic! Both these books though provide an impressive history of the man, one of the greatest aces of the conflict and a brilliant tactical leader. I recommend both as well worth pursuing!
Cheers,
Lance
From what I have read Mannock was more concerned with bringing along new pilots so they could survive.... Pity he didn’t.   
Ray

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 02:30:46 AM »
Thanks, Lance...I'll look for the Jones book being as how he was a squadron mate, accomplished ace himself and good chum of Major Mick so must of had quite a bit of first hand experience to offer....how often do you get that formula in a biography? And yeah, Ray...Mannock broke an unwritten rule and paid for it...but from what I gather, exactly how he died still hasn't really been resolved so I'm keen to learn more.         -M
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde