Author Topic: Woodgrain - a rough guide  (Read 4288 times)

Offline GHE

Woodgrain - a rough guide
« on: October 07, 2012, 10:12:36 PM »
Messieurs !

If you like to do a wooden item with styrene parts ( ex: Evergreen) you may use a scriber to show the planks; the rough
grain however is easier to be done with sanding paper.
With the help of sanding paper you may control the woodgrain effect.
Even fine structures may be possible - the rough ones are easy done.

When painting this surface the darker colour flows into the grain - like it is with wheathering panel lines.

If it will be a good idea on an Albatross fuselage ?...

viele Grüße, Gunther
LZeppelin rocks!

Offline Whiteknuckles

Re: Woodgrain - a rough guide
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 11:11:12 AM »
Sounds interesting Gunther, do you have any pictures on using sanding paper to control the woodgrain effect?

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline GHE

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 03:43:18 AM »
Hello Andrew !
Unfortunately I do not have photos on controling the woodgrain effect.
I did  a 1/35 Panzer V Panther conversion to make an early tank recover Panther D that had a wooden top plate on the turret ring;
I scribed the panel lines and used a rough sanding paper with low finger pressure to get a grain effect;  I smoothed the surface with very fine sanding paper for finishing it.

Control will be done by finger pressure to the sanding paper; one may cut the paper to the size that will fit for the size of the plank.
The scriber does only one grain line - it is of beter use for the panel lines;
With the sanding paper it is important to move it a little bit as  not to get only straight lines.

If you plan to do a wooden hangar with Evergreen styrene this will ad too the natural look very much; I'm not so sure whether
it will enhance the look of a cockpit base plate or the fuselage of an Albatross plane.

Maybe a cockpit baseplate is an object for this method,because it is inside; an Albatross fuselage is not htis easy...

Gunther
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 06:22:16 AM by GHE »
LZeppelin rocks!

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 05:02:42 PM »
Thanks for the further info Gunther - it would be interesting to hear what others think about using this on an aircraft fuselage. Sounds like it might be very time consuming but ultimately very effective?

Andrew
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 05:05:15 PM by whiteknuckles »
Eternal Apprentice