Author Topic: Stringbag; a Modellers guide to the art of WWI aircraft  (Read 4484 times)

Offline jeroen_R90S

Stringbag; a Modellers guide to the art of WWI aircraft
« on: November 26, 2017, 06:34:22 AM »
Picked up "Stringbag"; a Modellers guide to the art of WWI aircraft at todays Dutch IPMS Nationals (ESM).
I paid 25€ for it. It's written by Jeroen Veen and Flip Hendrickx (whom I think frequents this forum?)

What it is: a well-published, easily read guide to finishing techniques used on WWI aircraft models, like diverse methods of wood graining, painting techniques, etc etc. Things are explained with excellent photo's and some step-by-step tutorioals, both within the builds featured and in between them.
The pictures are excellent throughout, and some techniques (like wing shading) are shown (and explained) slightly overdone to make them more visible or understandable.
For seasoned WWI modellers I'm not sure if there is a lot of news, (though the method of doing the Roland D.VIa black fuselage is quite interesting) but if you are like me and like the construction part, but always struggle with the paint, decals and finish, this book is a great help with some easy to use techniques. I think this is the target-audience, too. :)
What I especially like is that it's nearly all done with "standard" modelling supplies, so you don't have to get brand X's engine grime wash, brand Y's anti-desintegration PE bender or Z's "how-could-you-ever-have-done-without it" Woodgrain brush.
What it is not: a step-by-step full build guide. Some construction tips and aids are given, construction is shown, but that's about it. I'd estimate 90% is about painting, decalling, finishing and (subtle!) weathering, which given that it only feature Wingut Wings models, isn't a bad thing I guess. The subtitle is clear enough in that regard on what you can expect.
What I also appreciate is that slipups or small goofs are mentioned. If Flip hadn't written about the missing spark plug wire on the W.29 I'd never have noticed...

Some points to note, though, though these are mostly nitpicks and don't interfere in any way, but me being me (I always seem to spot the errors in movies, too...) some quick things I noticed after not even reading the whole book. The picture on page 35 with its caption is repeated (larger) on page 36.
In the introduction it's written there is a Morane N build in there, but it's not, and not in the index as well.
Some other textual nitpicks are the different ways in different builds of naming the Daimer-Mercedes engines (Daimler-Benz, Mercedes, Daimler-Mercedes) and Benz engines are sometimes referred to as Mercedes; the mutual agreement wasn't signed until 1924 and the merger itself in 1926.
The Liberty engine of the DH9a is sometimes referred to as an Eagle, one time it is a 12-Valve engine, and another the correct V12.
Like I said, these are mostly nitpicks, but I do feel that these errors would not be that hard to catch? (it took me about 2 hours)

Personally I really like the book, there are some tips and techniques in there I'd really like to try.
Like I wrote, for seasoned WWI modellelers there won't be as much as for me, lousy painter that I am ;-)
I really look forward to trying some of those techniques on my WNW D.VII!

Jeroen

PS there are some sample pages on the WNW site.

Offline TobyCoulson

Re: Stringbag; a Modellers guide to the art of WWI aircraft
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 01:28:21 PM »
Interstimng. Found it on Amazon for £24.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stringbag-Modellers-Guide-Art-Aircraft/dp/0993258832.
However anyone know what a "JP Oversize" is?
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 04:11:52 PM »
I got the book, too and can say it is worth the money (26,50€ at König). Jeroen said everything above, it is a nice and well made bed lecture for the mid-experienced modeler.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 07:00:41 PM »
Interstimng. Found it on Amazon for £24.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stringbag-Modellers-Guide-Art-Aircraft/dp/0993258832.
However anyone know what a "JP Oversize" is?

I'm wondering if this is relevant:

An Oversize Unit is any unit that is greater in any one dimension than 45cm long x 35cm wide x 20cm high and/or weighing 9kg or more

Found in terms and conditions on Amazon Japan

Otherwise, there is this: https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=4055489 which doesn't help at all!

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 05:44:56 AM »
I have no idea what JP Oversize is... but for what it's worth, the book measures 297x210mm (DIN A4 size if I recall from memory?) and is about 8mm thick.

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 08:25:41 AM »
I have no idea what JP Oversize is... but for what it's worth, the book measures 297x210mm (DIN A4 size if I recall from memory?) and is about 8mm thick.
Thanks. Have ordered it.
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline Borsos

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 11:31:37 PM »
I agree with all the positive comments above, this book contains an abundance of pics of models made by first class modellers and it is beautifully made. I only regret that there are only WNW kits and the Special Hobby Morane Saulnier N, which is even mentioned on page 5, was dropped. WNW is great but luckily it’s not the only manufacturer of 1:32 scale kits. Let’s not forget that!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline rayb24

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 02:40:49 AM »
I got this book over the holidays, but held off looking at it until Christmas (just in case I didn't get anything good to read). This is one of the best modelling books I have ever seen. The photo's are just excellent and in a class of there own for printed matter.

Now we are in the digital world as it were, lots of books or data files just fall down on images not being good enough resolution, being too small or the objects are to far away so you see detail thats minuscule and fuzzy.

Not these, they set a standard in my mind.

Buy it, it will be money very well spent.

Ray

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 01:22:52 AM »
Michigan Toy Soldier had it for $44 plus shipping.  Delivery was in a cardboard box so my postman couldn't fold it in two and cram it in my mail box.  Photography is very well done, tips on painting wood, letters, etc are well documented.  Worth having these technigues described in one place.   
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline Gutzer

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 06:14:21 PM »
Don't tell anyone, but the WingNuts website has the book for US$32 while stock last...

Peter
Perth, Western Australia

"One must overcome the inner Schweinehund."  The Baron.