Author Topic: Looking for a quick 1/72 build  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Softscience

Looking for a quick 1/72 build
« on: November 20, 2017, 02:18:16 PM »
Good evening, all.

I've been enjoying a few ongoing 1/32 scale biplanes, that I've had on the go for some time now. But I'm looking for a more manageable project. 1/72 is my preferred scale for WW II and jet subjects, so something in the Divine scale  ;) would be best*.
However, the kits I've tried so far have been problematic. I had a Roden Fokker VIII, which was alright, but had useless decals. Replacement lozenges were all more than the kit cost, so that was out.

Another Roden kit had short shot struts and very poor fit.

So perhaps the lesson is to stay clear of Roden for now?

While I've been building in 72 for decades, I'm a relative newcomer to biplanes, so I don't want to.get bogged down in something fussy and poor fitting.

Any suggestions?

Offline Softscience

Re: Looking for a quick 1/72 build
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 02:21:41 PM »
PS. My favorite WW1 aircraft are the Morane Saulnier N, RE-8, and Sopwith Dolphin.

From what I understand, there are no quality kits of any of these in 72?

Offline IanB

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 03:57:12 AM »
You could do worse than the MAC Distribution kits. I've only built the Fokker DVII of theirs and replaced the struts simply because I wanted them thinner, and the engine with a spare from a Roden kit. But it does build up nicely straight from the box. I have a couple more of theirs in the stash including a Bristol Scout and Pfalz DIII. The HR Models Sopwith Pup is also fairly straightforward, I just had to sand the top of the nose down a little to correct the profile.

Ian

Online Borsos

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 04:19:33 AM »
The Roden Pfalz D III is a great kit as are almost all eduard 1:72 kits of wwi subjects. I would keep my hands off HitKit kits and Pegasus kits...
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 11:13:15 AM »
I would also agree with Borsos, the Eduard kits are pretty darn good. The Nieuport 17/23 boxings are nice and very easy to put together.

Mike

Offline Softscience

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 01:54:16 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm not wild about nieuports, but these MAC Kits look interesting.

I like the shape of the Pfalz, too. Are the kit decals useable?

Online RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 12:15:24 AM »
I don't know how you feel about Fokker Triplanes but Eduard and Revelle of Germany both make an excellent DR1.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Dirigible-Al

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 02:59:43 AM »
I agree with RGIII. The DR.1 kits are an easy and quick build and you cannot get a more iconic WW1 plane than the DR.1 and so many good colour schemes too. One I liked when I built in 1/72 was the Revell Fokker D.VII, I have not tried other manufacturers so I cannot comment on how the Revell kit stacks up against them but I built 3 and had no issues with any of them.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline Softscience

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 08:59:31 AM »
Cool guys.

I forgot that I actually built the old Revell Fokker VII maybe 25 years ago. I didn't have decals so I made it as a postwar Belgian aircraft. I used round orange stickers that I had as roundels :D

Ah childhood modeling. Where has the fun gone?

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 10:02:33 PM »
Choroszy do a nice RE8 though the high component count will make a rather fiddly build!

Offline rayb24

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 12:22:47 PM »
What about the Airfix Fokker EIII or better yet the Eduard one..

Offline Softscience

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 12:36:25 AM »
What about the Airfix Fokker EIII or better yet the Eduard one..

Now there's an idea. I've heard good things about the Airfix kit. The Eduard is better?

Offline rayb24

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 01:18:10 PM »
Airfix is easier to build, Eduard is more detailed especially the profipack versions.

Offline Softscience

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 03:40:13 AM »
Thanks, Ray.

I think I'll pick up the Airfix kit. Do my small part to encourage them to release more WWI types.

Offline rayb24

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 10:10:43 PM »
There is another choice and it’s a quick build, the Junkers J1 has no rigging to speak of.  It was mostly metal. So the Eduard kit is an easy build, has attractive schemes.. the only difficult part and it’s more about measuring and planning g is making sure you put the outer wing struts in correctly... Eduard list on there site.
Ray