Author Topic: CRI.EL Autocarro Leggero Fiat 15 Ter  (Read 8479 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
CRI.EL Autocarro Leggero Fiat 15 Ter
« on: October 26, 2017, 09:36:58 AM »
This is my second CRI.EL truck kit, this time it is the 1:35 scale all resin Autocarro Leggero Fiat 15 Ter, here is a brief history of the truck.

The Fiat 15 Ter was designed by Carlo Cavalli and entered service in 1912. It was a very strudy and reliable vehicle, something that was proven when a convoy of 23 Fiat 15 Ter lorries made the first motor vehicle crossing of the Sahara travelling three thousand kilometres without mechanical problems.It was first used in war in the Libyan war of 1912 - hence the nickname "Libia". It had a four cylinder petrol engine of 4398 cc (40 hp at 1800 rpm) and twin rear wheels fitted with inflated tyres. It weighed some 1.4 tons and could attain a maximum speed of 40km/h. The soundness of the design was proven by the fact that it was not only used by te Italian Army but also by the British Army on both the Italian and Greek fronts. Also, it was produced under license in Russia from 1916 by a firm of AMO. 750 light trucks and 750 light staff cars of 15 Ter type were ordered. In Italy it was produced between 1911 and 1920 and remained n service until 1940.

The kit comes in a very strudy cardboard box which offers excellent protection to the enclosed parts, my kit arrived in perfect condition.

The parts are housed in four zip lock plastic bags with some of the larger items sitting in the box among the plastic bags, no damage was evident to any of the parts.

There is a good quantity of quality resin parts cast in a medium grey colour. Apart from the casting blocks there is little clean-uo to be done and most parts display very good crisp detail

The following two photos show the detail of some of the parts and also demonstrate how clean the parts are, casting s extremely good with no evidence of bubble.

I started the build by fitting the required parts to the chassis, cutting the casting blocks off the parts is an easy exercise using a razor saw then a light sanding with a sanding stick. As with all resin kits the parts must be glued using super glue (CA), I use a very runny CA which adheres the parts very well. All the parts fit extremely well.

The dash board is very basic in this truck, just two instruments, two switches and a pump, thats it. I have made the two instruments using 2.5mm brass tube cut to length then a dial fitted cut from my instrument decals, a drop od Futures holds the dial in place. The pump is made from various sizes of brass tube cut and glued with CA. None of the patrs are glued at present, I will paint the dash board first then fit the parts.

I exposed more of the chassis by removing the pieces between the chassis rails. I had to add two small strips of styrene to either side of the chassis rails to allow the pins on the fuel tank to have a place to mount, they should have fitted to the chassis but thepins are not wide enough apart.

I have fitted the major components to the front of the truck, the bonnet (hood) went on very easily as did the dash board come firewall. The floor ans seat mounting also fitted very well, the seat is only sitting in position for photos purposes. The steering column and drivers foot pedals are also fitted.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: CRI.EL Autocarro Leggero Fiat 15 Ter
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 09:47:18 AM »
Great start Des, really looking forward to your treatment on this vehicle.   :D

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 12:29:41 PM »
Thank you Juan for your kind comments.

The cargo box went together reasonably easy, the base was a little warped so needed to be taped to the sides to get it to be flat, once the CA was applied everything stayed where it was taped, I also fitted the folded canopy.

Des.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 11:34:24 PM »
Excellent Start Des. I am sure this will be yet another gorgeous Model when completed! Looking forward to your progress!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 08:00:22 AM »
 Des,
It's good to have something a little Italian to go along with my daily ration of expresso my old friend. Beautiful progress! Looking forward to the next installment. Keep up the excellence.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 02:20:47 PM »
Thanks Rick and Gregory for your much appreciated comments, nice to know you have looked in.

I found a photo of this truck with a huge gas light mounted in the centre of the radiator, I liked this light so decided to make one and fit it to my model. Please excuse the scratched glass, I had all intentions of polishing it but when I did a trial fit it fitted so well I couldn't get it back out, so it is there to stay.

Des.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 02:38:42 PM by Des »

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 06:36:27 PM »
Try a bit of acrylic varnish on the lens - the famous 'Future' floor sealer for instance.

The lamp is excellent

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 09:06:52 PM »
Beautiful modification/scratch building.  Enjoying this immensely.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 10:40:58 PM »
Awesome scratch built addition Des! Really adds an interesting look to the Front End!
RAGIII

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 03:53:33 AM »
 Des,
Absolutely awesome up date my old friend. I love that brass gas light! Keep up highest excellence.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 08:32:07 AM »
Thanks very much guys for all your wonderful comments, they are really appreciated. Richard, I did apply Future to the outside of the glass which did help a little, but the inside is also scratched, I will just have to live with it.
Even though not included in the kit I think the big gas light adds a bit of uniqueness to the truck, next job is to paint everything, the only colour call-out is for "Military Green".

Des.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 09:13:05 AM »
Hmmm, maybe smear some mud on the lens then

I hesitate to say, your additions are making the rest of the truck look a bit plain

I'm looking forward to the next instalment

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 05:25:22 PM »
There is a restored 15TER as part of the TVAL collection at Hood. I have spent many hour driving it around the airfield giving people rides before flying starts at airshows there. Interesting to see the kit has two gauges. The TVAL only has one, for oil pressure. I'm guessing that if another was fitted, it would be fuel tank pressure.

It is a very easy thing to drive and if one were to come up for sale in this part of the world I would be tempted to sell something and get it.

The New Zealand army bought three of them - used, after WWI and this is one of them.

A friend in the Czech Republic is also restoring one. 

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 12:35:57 PM »
I splashed a bit of colour on the model today, the instructions called for military green so that left the door wide open, I'm not sure about the seat colour at this stage, I think it should be darker.

Des.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 11:26:06 PM »
Looks awesome Des! Lovely paint work!
RAGIII