Author Topic: Mikr Mir 1:32 Fokker E.V Jasta 6  (Read 9031 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Mikr Mir 1:32 Fokker E.V Jasta 6
« on: September 17, 2017, 06:04:38 AM »
    This model represents the E.V version of the Fokker D.VIII as delivered to Jasta 6 at Bernes, France in August of 1918. The Mikr Mir Kit is, as I understand it, a re-run of the older Avis Kit with a new wing.
    This is definitely not a kit for a beginner; many of the parts need to be replaced with scratch built versions and the landing gear and wing strut arrangements are crude at best, and beg for stronger replacements. The assembly of the wing, landing gear and fuselage components needs accurate jigs as the joints are all basically "butt" joints at best and alignment is very difficult. The assembly Jig provided with the Pheon decal Set proved a god send in the assembly process.
   The outline and surface detail of the kit is quite good. The quality of the moldings is, at best, adequate, and the sprues are pretty "rough" with lots of clean up required. On this Build I replaced the struts with brass components, scratch built most of the cockpit, and added HGW Belts to the rebuilt seat. I also added a Wingnut Wings spare Albatros wind screen and Czech Master Spandau gun barrels and jackets. All of the decals were from Pheon. She's also got Taurus upper cowling retaining nuts and a scratched cowling retention wire and brackets. The prop is my usual hand carved effort.
    On the brighter side if you like the aircraft the Kit will produce a lovely E.V / D.VIII for your collection with a little patience and effort.
    Here she is, she'll never grace a Show Table as she's got some rough spots but I've always liked the aircraft and am happy to put her in my cabinet.

Given TVAL's two flying replicas I believe WNW will release this Kit in the future. If so I wouldn't hesitate to build a second, Sachsenberg's checker board scheme would look nice with his D.VII I already have!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

Re: Mikr Mir 1:32 Fokker E.V Jasta 6
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 06:14:31 AM »
Why would that never grace a show table Lance? From where I am sitting that would win prizes if it ever got to the table. A very fine effort of what was evidently a pretty crude kit: therefore a real tribute to a master modeller.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 06:52:20 AM »
Lance,
As you know I followed your build closely  8) Your solutions to the issues involved indeed show your Modeling Skills at their best! Your attention to the small details have certainly raised the bar for anyone building this or the original Avis version. I only hope my build of the Avis kit turns out half as well...and keeps the wing on  :(
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 07:07:41 AM »
Why would that never grace a show table Lance? From where I am sitting that would win prizes if it ever got to the table. A very fine effort of what was evidently a pretty crude kit: therefore a real tribute to a master modeller.

Stephen.

Thank you Stephen, most generous of you; I am a master of selective camera angles actually!

.....and thanks as well Rick, I'll be watching your final progress and I believe with your skills, yes, the wing will stay on!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 07:11:26 AM »
Hi Lance,
 From where I'm sitting, and knowing the work and effort you put into finishing the Razor, I would say the high table is where this VIII belongs.
A pat on the back is well deserved ;-)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 07:46:12 AM »
Lance, as others have mentioned, your efforts and end result are worthy.  You are being too harsh on yourself as this build is an outstanding example of what can be done with a challenging kit.  As Rick has stated, you have set the bar high for others to follow.  Truly enjoyed your log and am sure I will look back on it (as well as others) when building this kit.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 07:56:18 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments von Buckle and Juan. I think I'll reward myself a little, with a large end of day ale! I've cleaned up the end of Build debris from the bench and got the Camel I had started out and ready to go, amazing how good the Wingnut's parts look!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 08:37:18 AM »
I love everything about this beauty, Lance!  Your rendition of the wing streaking, in particular, is very convincing, the scheme is a treat for the eyes and your use of Aviattic lozenge is superb.  Congratulations on another brilliant model, buddy!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 10:21:12 AM »
   The wing colours were sort of inspired by Frank (Bug Hunter), I really liked his interpretation of the streaked stain colours as in the original documents. I'm quite comfortable with this portrayal despite being in contradiction of "Dan Sans" version. Thanks for looking Bud, and for your nice words. :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 12:33:15 PM »
Extremely well done Lance. Despite the issues with the kit you had to deal with the completed model is a testament to your amazing modeling skills, congratulations on presenting a superb looking model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Russell

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 06:19:06 PM »
I can only echo all the comments above. It's a very impressive build especially with the challenges of the kit.

The stained effect on the top of the wing looks superb.

Regards
Russell

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 09:28:36 PM »
Magnificent, Lance.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline davec

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 10:56:24 PM »
Tremendous work Lance - congratulations on finishing.  Beautiful.

Dave

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 12:52:12 AM »
Des, Russell, Nigel and Dave,
     Many thanks for your too generous comments; it's been a long haul and I'm glad you like it!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 02:38:15 AM »
Nice one, Sir Lance-a-lot. Not many warts to be seen here, IMHO. I Like the wing streaking as well as the lozenge application: very sharp! All in all, I'd recommend a visit to a competition table. You might be very pleasantly surprised!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."