Author Topic: Jasta 30 Fokker D.VII's - possible BMW engines?  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Petie2nd

Jasta 30 Fokker D.VII's - possible BMW engines?
« on: September 08, 2017, 07:11:08 AM »
There isn't much on D.VII's in Jasta 30, and only a couple photos in Bruno Schmäling's wonderful Jasta 30 book. He has promised that more photos and info, found after publication, would be included with his Jasta 23b book, when it is published. I haven't heard much recently about when this long-awaited book will be available.

Anyway, there are 4 D.VII profiles in the Jasta 30 book. Three of them show the upper cowling panels removed, and the profiles show the engines as BMW - manifold straight across the top, both sets of sparkplugs run along the left side of the engine. They also show the upright air pump, associated with the Mercedes D.IIIa engine. The profiles could just be representations, since so little seems to be known about these machines.

The photo (p. 122 of Jasta 30) of Hans-Georg von der Marwitz watching his D.VII being worked on, shown from front left, doesn't show enough engine detail to be sure. On page 124 is the photo of August Hartmann's "moi Hexle". The top of the manifold could be solid all the way across, or possibly a water-jacketed Mercedes. The same photo appears in the D.VII Anthology, Vol. 2, page 39.

Does anyone have better information, better copies of these or other photos, or better eyes than I do? What is the chance that at least some of these, apparently Albatros-built, D.VII's, had the BMW IIIa engine?

Rich

Online RAGIII

Re: Jasta 30 Fokker D.VII's - possible BMW engines?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 12:18:06 AM »
I don't really have the answer. That being said did the BMW engine versions not have a higher location for the Spandaus also? Are these visible I any of the photos?
RAGIIIS
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 02:58:12 AM »
I know about the different MG heights, but they're not really visible in the 2 photos I have seen.

Thanks, Rich

Offline skeeterbuck

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 10:19:22 PM »
Here is a link to some info from the late Dan Sam Abbott in reference to trying to identify the BMW equipped Fokker D-VII's.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10257

If the aircraft has the quick release hub it's the BMW engine, unfortunately not all BMW equipped aircraft have this hub. Also, Heine propellers were used on the BMW engines. Lastly, the BMW engine cylinders protrude about 1 inch higher than the Mercedes engine.

To my way of thinking unless I know it has a BMW I go with the Mercedes as it's more common and as a result more likely to be correct.
Good luck!

Chuck