Author Topic: Lebed VII (Sopwith Tabloid), Special Hobby 1/48, Upd 23.1.18 100% scratch floats  (Read 30454 times)

Offline KrzysiekK

Re: Lebed VII (Sopwith Tabloid), Special Hobby 1/48, Upd 6.9.2017 wooden cockpit
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 06:02:28 PM »
Top build!
Amazing wood detail set!
Being close that thread
regards
K

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Lebed VII (Sopwith Tabloid), Special Hobby 1/48, Upd 6.9.2017 wooden cockpit
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 06:39:40 PM »
This is coming together beautifully Frank, I love the fact that you are using real wood.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 06:40:24 PM »
Can't beat real wood Frank..

Beautiful

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Online Borsos

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 12:40:52 AM »
Detailing a cockpit with real wood... hmmmm... really amazing idea, especially the seat looks great. I must try this out some day.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 03:40:41 AM »
I too appreciate the use of wood on a model - greta idea. The rest of you detailing is simply superb - and what a difference it makes to what is otherwise a good model but not special. Yours will be VERY special!

Stephen.

Bughunter

Lebed VII (Sopwith Tabloid), Special Hobby 1/48, Upd 7.9.2017 Cockpit done
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 03:48:13 AM »
Oh, you are all so much surprised, at least by the seat - I should register a patent and sell licenses. So I can stop working and have more time for modeling and can come around with more of such crazy ideas 8)

Just joking ;)  Thank you all :-*

Cockpit mounting

It is really hard to gather information about that biplane, at least for the inside. There exists a replica in Hendon, but I guess they had the same problem - the instrument board is empty!

Quelle: https://hiveminer.com/Tags/factory,warbird

Now some brass parts, the rudder bar scratched and soldered.

Also a control wheel holder. According to that picture I decided also against seat belts for such early time. No weapon, no fights, no acrobatics. They were lucky to be able to go from A to B and see something. And to avoid a headstand, a special landing gear is mounted. So I found no reason for a belt and no picture shows one.

All parts mounted and put on a light washing. In real the colors are not so bright.

It was a lot of effort, but it is still visible from outside.

Hard to show with photos, but with real eye you can see some details inside.

Really pity, that I have to glue the fuselage parts together ....

Cheers,
Frank
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 03:54:34 AM by Bughunter »

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 07:11:05 AM »
Truly beautiful work, frank! Next thing you'll be making your own Stripped Down versions out of wood!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 07:43:21 AM »
Superb workmanship on the cockpit, control column and rudder bar, well done so far.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 03:46:23 PM »
Great work, Frank. Superb details. I hope I can see the originals on an exhibition maybe in Mol or in Lingen.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline xmald

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 05:37:16 PM »
Top notch mate! That's what you take pictures for ;) - to still be able to see all your effort.
Keep up the good work!
Best regards
Filip

Online RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 09:44:55 PM »
Frank,
Your woodworking and details are incredible! Lovely results!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Bughunter

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2017, 02:15:22 AM »
Thank you all!

Next thing you'll be making your own Stripped Down versions out of wood!
That would be a lot of effort, and I have some question regarding stability! If I sand the wood down to such thin parts it gets really flexible.

control column
Ah, thank you! Sometimes I don't find the correct translation.

I hope I can see the originals on an exhibition maybe in Mol or in Lingen.
Manni, from the south of Germany this is a bit to far. My models (and me) can be met in Fürstenfeldbruck on 17./18. March 2018 and, may be this is more a option for you, in Wilnsdorf on 29. April 2018. Have to drive 500km for that event, but it's nice. Would be nice to meet you there.

That's what you take pictures for ;) - to still be able to see all your effort.
So it is good to have such build report ;)

The next thing will be the engine.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2017, 02:27:44 AM »
Nothing can stand the magic of real wood and looks perfect here. I'm looking forward to see the completed lebed.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2017, 03:27:39 AM »
Your work never ceases to amaze me, and this latest is no exception.

With reference to seat belts it would seem that most early aircraft did not carry them for the reasons that you have given: that pilots did not perform aerobatics so that they were unlikely to fall out of the cockpit. It would also seem that they were not fitted to many aircraft until quite late into WW1: there are accounts of pilots who did not want them for various reasons. There are also accounts of observers falling out of the front cockpit of the FE 2b in dogfights and at least one of an observer Lt F. S. Rankin's coat being grabbed by by the pilot to prevent him from falling out of the aircraft. Another account is of a pilot flying another aircraft (not an FE 2b), who was attempting to change the drum of the Lewis gun which was mounted on the top wing: the drum jammed and in wrestling to get it off the aircraft turned on its back and the pilot fell out of the cockpit and found himself hanging on to the Lewis drum. With difficulty he managed to get his legs back into the cockpit and kick the control column so that the aeroplane turned back to normal level flight and the pilot could sit back in his seat: if he had had a seat belt he would not have fallen out. I apologise for not giving the name of the pilot or his aircraft - perhaps another can provide those details - memory suggests that it may have been Capt L. Strange of the RNAS.

Stephen.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2017, 03:56:51 AM »
I would be very surprised to find that the Tabloid had no belt

Observers fell out because they were standing to use guns

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!