Author Topic: Hi folks!  (Read 3189 times)

Offline RussellSmith

• Russell Smith Studios
Hi folks!
« on: October 03, 2012, 11:43:02 PM »
Hello all. I dare say that I probably know a large percentage of you all from other forums. I'm glad to see a site dedicated exclusively to WWi modeling subjects (and art, of course).

I'll start off my first post with a couple of my latest works:

The Eagle and the Butterfly
45" x 22.5"
oil on linen

Bullet
20" x 12.25"
oil on linen on masonite

"Art is about creating a feeling, an emotion, not about creating a pictorial catalog of the artist's knowledge and research" - Gil Cohen.
Russell Smith
site: www.russellsmithart.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Russel...s/103226508613

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Hi folks!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 07:47:15 AM »
Hello Russell, I'm so happy to see you here. Your two latest works are as brilliant as all your other painting I have seen, in particular I really like Bullet. Looking forward to seeing more of your works posted here soon.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 08:51:09 AM »
Your machines look great - your skyscapes are fantastic. Eagle and Butterfly really gives the sense of being right in the airborne clash - movement, atmosphere, depth - thanks I'll take it.......worth a try....

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
Hi Russell,
   I too am very pleased to see you here. I'm a great admirer of your work, have "Bishop's Plumage" and "Last Dance of the Hussar" hanging proudly in my home....truly great portrayals of significant events and people in the Great War in the air. To echo Steve, I really enjoy your backgrounds/skyscapes. The limitless depths and perspective you portray so well remind me of introspective moments long past when I'd reflect on the beauty of it all while airborne. Welcome, and looking forward to your participation.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RussellSmith

• Russell Smith Studios
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 09:27:44 PM »
Thanks guys!  :)
"Art is about creating a feeling, an emotion, not about creating a pictorial catalog of the artist's knowledge and research" - Gil Cohen.
Russell Smith
site: www.russellsmithart.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Russel...s/103226508613

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 03:18:03 AM »
Really excited to see you pop into this corner of the net, Russell. On a recent toddler-induced sleepless night I was checking out the works in progress in the art section on another forum. I had never checked out the art section before, so I had never heard of this incredible artist named Russell Smith. Well, his in-depth explanations of researching the subject and the technique involved in producing such incredible paintings was riveting reading! If you're even a tenth as good as that guy we're in for a real treat!  ;)

Really looking forward to see some of your work!

Welcome aboard,

Lindsay

Offline contact 123

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 08:18:21 AM »
Is that CS Lewis in the Bullet?Wonderful paintings,thanks!
My stash is out of control!