Author Topic: Classic Plane 1/72 L.V.G. C.VI  (Read 6783 times)

Offline Danh4

Classic Plane 1/72 L.V.G. C.VI
« on: August 19, 2017, 10:54:45 AM »
Thought I'd share a project I just completed today in a kind of "all-in-one" build log/completed pics post.

The kit is the Classic Planes L.V.G. C.VI and it went together with very little trouble.  I added interior details from scrap plastic and a little bit of photoetch here and there.

Here it is painted up.  I had no luck finding a correct white metal engine so I was forced to use the vac engine which I detailed with bits of stretched sprue and scrap plastic.

I also took a shot at making something usable out of the kit's exhaust stack.  I was pleasantly surprised that a decent looking part was in there somewhere!

I used brass rod to make up the cabane struts.  They run down the inside of the fuselage and anchor into the floor I put in so they are quite strong.

The diagonal braces between the main cabane struts are stretched sprue.

Time for some paint!  I wasn't quite sure how I was going to proceed with the ply fuselage but I started with this ugly medium brown.  The wings and tail have been painted with a tan color in preparation for Aviattic lozenge decals.

I eventually masked off different panels of the fuselage and oversprayed with different amounts of Gunze clear orange and yellow mixed with Future trying to get a "wood" look to things.

The decals behaved beautifully.  I was able to use Aviattic's "joined" lozenge sheets this time which made the job a lot easier than the Halberstadt I did before which required individual strips applied at an angle.

Rib tapes are visible on the lower wing and tail.  I made my own by painting a light tan onto clear decal film and then trimming out the tapes.  Fun!

Once the decaling was done, it was a pretty quick job to get things assembled.  I rigged it with .005" Nitinol wire.

Here's the finished model:

Thanks for looking!

-Dan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Classic Plane 1/72 L.V.G. C.VI
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 11:35:02 AM »
Extremely well done Dan, the build and the final finishing are excellent, everything from the interior details to the fuselage wood colours is superb, and the rigging tops it off beautifully, this is a real gem of a model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 11:45:31 AM »
I echo Des' comments. That is a very impressive LVG, congratulations on a wonderful model!

Ian

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 09:13:09 PM »
Really well done LVG! As it is a vac kit, even better! Your wood tones, interior, construction, and rigging are gorgeous. One of the cleanest vacs I have seen built.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 09:56:33 PM »
Wow, I can only repeat what is alreday written: It would be a great model if it was a modern injection-moulded kit but as a vac it is even better. Congratulations!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 10:33:16 PM »
    Very nicely done, Dan. I really like the results you got with the slightly contrasted wood panels on the fuselage. I'll be using that approach with my 1:32 WNW Version LVG when I get to it.
    As Borsos has pointed out, a great model but even more so given it's a Vac Kit!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 11:59:27 PM »
Anyone who can build a vac to this quality deserves a medal!

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 01:17:48 AM »
I agree with all the superlatives above, you've done a masterful job with this vac kit.

Offline Danh4

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 08:43:07 PM »
Thank you all for the nice comments! 

-Dan

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 03:07:33 AM »
Simply gorgeous, Dan!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 04:48:30 PM »
Great work, Dan. I can't believe it was a vac form kit.
Great.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Adam

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 06:20:12 PM »
Beautiful made model of the aircraft, in such a difficult and unusual technique.

Adam.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 01:51:12 AM »
You've done it again, Dan.  Looks like the one I've seen at Shuttleworth.  Lovely job and all the more with the scale and medium.

Of course, you and I both know that Vacs rule... ;D ;D

What's next?

WestCoastDan

Offline Pete Wenman

• Pete Wenman Aviation Art
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 06:09:59 AM »

A great build, and all the more impressive given it's a vac kit and in 1/72 only !!!

P

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 06:44:08 AM »
That is a simply first class piece of modelling. I for one would never had guessed that it is a vacuform by looking at it - kudos to you for a truly fine effort.

Stephen.