Author Topic: German Naval Hex - model paint matches ???  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Pete Wenman

• Pete Wenman Aviation Art
German Naval Hex - model paint matches ???
« on: August 12, 2017, 11:54:45 PM »

I'm trying to pull together info on the colours of Naval Hex to help me mix matches in oil paints.

Ray Rimell provides good info in the WSDF on the H-B W.12 and while I have little insight into the Methuen system he does quote two FS matches.

Ray quotes the colours as 
         Light Violet Grey Blue -  (with no direct FS match)
         LightBlue  - FS 35240
         Mid Blue   - FS 35164

However I see Aviattic call the colours "grey brown, grey blue, grey violet" with the grey brown perhaps being at odds with the mid blue description above as FS 35164 seems to lean more to blue hue than brown. However they also advise Ray is very happy with their matched colours, so perhaps the match to FS 35164 is not as strong as it might be.

I'm not too worried what the colours are called, but would like to start in the right ball park with regards to hue. Does anybody have a suggestion as to good paint matches for the three colours, (particularly the violet grey to give me some kind of start point)

I know discussing colours on the web and computer screens is always going to be a losing battle, and even harder in this instance given the scarcity of information, and that is before we introduce, fading, light conditions and all the other variables at play.

Long story short is that I would like to be able to create 3 colour chips from models paints to act as a guide for when painting on canvas.

Any help or thoughts appreciated

P

Offline Pete Wenman

• Pete Wenman Aviation Art
Re: German Naval Hex - model paint matches ???
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 01:13:34 AM »

My first attempt (mixed in oils) based on nothing but my perception from web images, and descriptions of the colours.

How far off the mark am I for each of the colours ?

P

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: German Naval Hex - model paint matches ???
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 04:37:49 AM »
Pete,
    I am certainly not an expert however I'd recommend you acquire a sheet of Aviattic's Naval hex Decals. To my mind the research and effort they've put into the replication is probably as good as it gets, and their results look like my interpretation of the material. From that an artist like yourself should be able to match the colours pretty quickly! Good luck with this, and I am looking forward to seeing the results.
Cheers,
Lance