Author Topic: WNW Fokker DVII  (Read 8132 times)

Offline aliluke

WNW Fokker DVII
« on: August 07, 2017, 08:17:24 PM »
Started my DVII a few weeks back - just about to close it in so thought I'd share photos of the innards. These are are going to be very tricky to get into the fuselage as the alignments are defined by flexible frames and all the other added panels.

The engine is only enhanced by adding crude spark plugs. Next time I'll do them better and even try wiring them...

Lots of little touch-ups to do before sealing it all in.

All Photobucket links deleted - see next post using Imgur as hosting site.

The one question I have:
With all the protrusions of the innards through the cowlings and fuselage how do you mask that for final painting of the body of the plane? I see some people seem to use foam? What is that stuff you use?

Thanks
Alistair
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 06:14:22 PM by aliluke »
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline aliluke

Re: WNW Fokker DVII
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 04:13:50 PM »
Seems I have fallen into the Photobucket trap  :( - will try another host and re-post...

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 06:09:01 PM by aliluke »

Offline 53ryder

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 09:26:39 PM »
WoW! A lot of work in such a small area. Well done!

Glenn

Offline Borsos

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 10:17:57 PM »
Really nice interior! Do you know which painting sheme you'll do?
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 11:55:30 PM »
Very nice interior! The wood tones are great and I absolutely Love the Leather cushion! As for the foam used by many for masking I can't help. I will say that on Mercedes engine aircraft I have tried to spray the cowl panels adjacent to the engine prior to installation. This allows me to just tape around the engine to about 1/4 inch . I then just spray away once the kit is assembled. The one different Model was the Jasta 6 bird that needed blck and white stripes at an angle aligning from the fuselage to cowl panels. In this one I just used small pieces of tape carefully applied around the engine. I hope this helps some!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 04:45:02 AM »
for the foam I use a kitchen scourer, they come very cheap and have a thich layer of foam, handy to cut into shape. I use 2 types, one is a little less dense then the other so it can be stuffed in smaller openings.
Also I use a very thin but very dense foam they use at my work to line trays that hold tools, but I can not help you with a supplier for that.
But I would like to know what other people use for their foam!

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 04:47:49 AM »
Great start Alistair, lovely office and engine area.  Looking forward to your progress.   :D

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 08:38:29 AM »
Lovely work, Alistair. I particularly like the way you have handled the cockpit.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline aliluke

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 03:50:16 PM »
Thanks for your encouraging comments and masking suggestions.

The colour scheme I'm planning to do is this (with the chrome yellow nose):

Online davec

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 02:57:09 PM »
Alistair - great work on the engine and cockpit.  Thanks for asking about masking the engine.  I'm at the same point on my Pfalz.  RAGIII and hideous1973's answers were really helpful.

Dave

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 03:40:10 PM »
Great work, Alistair. The interior looks very acurate and clean. The leather of the seat is perfect.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline aliluke

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 05:15:17 PM »
Thanks Manni, Dave
The masking worked really well in the end - tape plus kitchen scouring sponge. I did about three masking attempts and rejected the first two before committing to the brush. It is a nasty area to mask with the belts and other parts protruding through the fuselage right along the mask line.

I have just one or two minor touch ups to do and no breakages of the fragile cockpit parts. Will post photos in the next few days. The blue/yellow combo looks excellent to my eyes.

The dry fit of the cowling parts indicates problems though. There is a very faint twist to the frames at the front and it throws things out. Will need careful working as I want all the cowlings on and a tight fit on the nose. There is flex enough in the whole front end to correct everything...I think.

I'll check out your Pfalz shortly Dave. From your earlier model making evidence you'll sail through it.

Cheers
Alistair

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 10:45:09 PM »
Alistair,
    I've missed this Thread until just now, beautiful work on the interior and the engine! As for the foam question I have an assortment of the stuff salvaged from the packing of various purchases over the years; tools, electronics and video stuff, glass ware etc. are great sources and offer a variety of densities. Most of it is very similar to the liner Iwata uses in their airbrush cases for example. Works like a charm and the price is right!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Pete Wenman

• Pete Wenman Aviation Art
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 10:54:34 PM »

Alistair - Just catching this build, and it's looking great so far.

Looking forward to seeing it progress

P

Online RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 11:26:02 PM »
Just another quick comment. I have said before that this is one of my favorite schemes for a DVII. Something about the Yellow, Blue, and Lozenge that just makes the overall look terrific!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler