Author Topic: A question to the Scottish members of this forum  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Borsos

A question to the Scottish members of this forum
« on: August 01, 2017, 07:45:24 PM »
Next week me and three friends are going to spend our holidays in the Scottish highlands. Women and kinds stay at home, it's just us four, backpacks, hiking and probably sometimes having a pint (or a half ;)). As we start and end our trip in Glasgow there's of course one question in my mind: Is there anything wwi related in Glasgow (museum...) or modelling related respectively that is worth a visit?
Thank you in advance!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline macsporran

Re: A question to the Scottish members of this forum
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 08:30:20 PM »
Hi Borsos

Two good general museums in Glasgow - KelvinGrove and Transport Museum
Kelvingrove has a Spitfire XXI hanging from the roof - at least it did recently, but it might be down for cleaning at the moment, I'd have to check. Lots of major oil paintings including a very famous Dali
Transport museum used to have a lot of huge ship models but since relocating to new premises on the Clyde I think many are now in storage. There is at least one magnificent 1/48 HMS Hood on dispaly though. Lots of vehicles, trains etc. and a Tall Ship in the water outside. I'm sure you'll find lots of interest here.
Best model shop for me is Scott's Models, but not much WWI I'm afraid. Ian, the owner, is a real character and runs what he calls a "creche" for baby-boomer modellers outfront of his shop while their wives are shopping in the nearby St Enoch Centre. Just off Saltmarket, near the High Court. Worth a visit for the authentic Glasgow "banter".

When you get into the Highlands you will find WWI war Memorials at every little town and village - makes you ponder. At the moment Scotland (and rest of UK) is involved in a massive commemoration of the battle of Paaschendaele. Last Sunday for example we had the massed pipes and drums of the Black Watch and other regiments march through Crieff for a couple of miles and co0nclude with a drum-head service in the Market Park. Lots of modern Army Ordnance on display. Worth checking where you intend to be.

You probably have your route all planned, but I advise that you head as far north and west as you can. Anywhere above Skye is fabulous!! Coastal is good too as August inland is plagued by the dreaded Scottish midge - thousands of tiny biting insects. TAKE LOTS OF INSECT REPELLANT.
Skye is ridiculously busy in August, but of course iconic. I'd advise anybody new to Scotland to visit Morar, Torridon, Plockton, Applecross, Ullapool, LochInver, Handa Island on up to Cape Wrath and the magnificent Sandwood Bay. This requires a longish walk in but is one of God's own places, never to be forgotten. I'd avoid Loch Ness, Fort William and John O Groats - tourist buses and not much to see.

If I can help in any way, drop me a PM.
Cheers
Sandy

PS Best Air Museums are East Coast - East Fortune outside Edinburgh and Montrose where they are building a BE2 replica (housed in old WWI RFC 2Sqdn buildings.)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:37:15 PM by macsporran »

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 02:06:41 AM »
Thank you very much for your friendly and very informative message, Sandy!

In 2012 I visited Drumnadrochit, the Black Isle and Edinburgh with my wife and my eldest daughter. Was one of the most beautiful holidays I ever had. We had started in London and me and my daughter had the deal that I'd go with her to the Harry Potter Studios if she went with me to the Royal Air Force museum in Hendon. In the end I enjoyed both...

We did plan our route now for 2017 some weeks ago (much too late to get beds in some small villages); we'll follow the West Highland Way from Drymen to Balmaha, Rowardennan and Inversnaid, then back to the Western side of the Loch Lomond to Arrochar and Garelochhead, and then back to Glasgow after a night in Dumbarton. That's what was possible to organize or to find hostels  there respectively after we missed to plan earlier due to uncertainities caused by the jobs of some of our fellows.
We'll definitely take care of the midges, many people warned us like you did and told us to buy repellants there in Scottland and not to take the stuff available here (in fact we had a long and in the end funny conversation via Whats App, as a friend of us couldn't understand our potential problems with "midgets"...).
Transport museum and Scott's models - that sounds really good and I'll have a look at when we are back in Glasgow.
Best regards

Borsos

P.S. Won't be my last time there ... I must see East Fortune and Montrose. Sounds great.
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 03:24:10 AM »
Hope you have a great time  - the weather in July was lousy, so hopefully August will be much better.

My brother used to live at Garelochhead, but moved a few years back. This is right beside the Trident nuclear submarine base, so you may catch sight of one of the big black boats out in the water.
The pound is pretty low too, so your euros should go much further.

As I said, if I can help in any way, give me a shout.
Cheers
Sandy

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 03:58:59 AM »
Just to confirm that in future you should head for anywhere north of Torridon on the west side of the country - it is beautiful beyond words - dramatic is an understatement. It is also a geologists paradise - Ichnadamph is an internationally famous area and well worth exploring even if you are not a geologist. Birds and deer abound. It is also relatively quiet even in the height of the tourist season with walks that you will never forget and always treasure. I have not been able to visit now for over 10 years for various reasons, but would be there tomorrow if I could.

Have a really good break anyway - keep the NW Highlands for later.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 07:37:27 AM »
We did 12 days wandering about the Central Highlands and Skye (car rental and mostly small B&B's for accommodations) 5-6 years ago and it was magnificent. I envy you and your Buddies, Borsos, I would go back for a longer visit if I had the opportunity. Great people, wonderful country, and the beer is OK as well ;) ;)
Enjoy!
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 08:27:12 PM »
Hope you have a great time  - the weather in July was lousy, so hopefully August will be much better.

My brother used to live at Garelochhead, but moved a few years back. This is right beside the Trident nuclear submarine base, so you may catch sight of one of the big black boats out in the water.
The pound is pretty low too, so your euros should go much further.

As I said, if I can help in any way, give me a shout.
Cheers
Sandy

Thank you very much, Sandy!

Just to confirm that in future you should head for anywhere north of Torridon on the west side of the country - it is beautiful beyond words - dramatic is an understatement. It is also a geologists paradise - Ichnadamph is an internationally famous area and well worth exploring even if you are not a geologist. Birds and deer abound. It is also relatively quiet even in the height of the tourist season with walks that you will never forget and always treasure. I have not been able to visit now for over 10 years for various reasons, but would be there tomorrow if I could.

Have a really good break anyway - keep the NW Highlands for later.

Stephen.

Sounds wonderful. It won't be my last time there, so NW Highlands will be kept for later! Thanks Stephen!

We did 12 days wandering about the Central Highlands and Skye (car rental and mostly small B&B's for accommodations) 5-6 years ago and it was magnificent. I envy you and your Buddies, Borsos, I would go back for a longer visit if I had the opportunity. Great people, wonderful country, and the beer is OK as well ;) ;)
Enjoy!
Lance

Small B&B's, that's like we do. I can hardly wait when I read all these positive reports... Thanks Lance!
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 09:28:27 PM »
Probably way too far off your route, Montrose would be worth a visit:

http://rafmontrose.org.uk/

One of the first of the RFC stations

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 04:28:40 AM »
Back from the north - simply amazing.
Thanks again for all the tips! Montrose is on the list for the next time.
Borsos
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 05:53:48 AM »
Glad you survived the midgets!!!
Sandy

Offline Borsos

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 06:24:45 AM »
Glad you survived the midgets!!!
Sandy
They were smaller than expected...
Barbusse.
Remarque.