Author Topic: Kesta 4 Fokker E.IV 183/16 - Camouflaged?  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Kesta 4 Fokker E.IV 183/16 - Camouflaged?
« on: October 01, 2012, 04:37:33 PM »
Hi all,

I am currently building a model of a Fokker E.IV, and am looking for some interesting markings - most are the usual clear doped linen and unpainted metal cowl panels.  When previously building a Fokker D.III, I used the below photo of Kesta 4 as a reference: 

I remembered that this photo had an E.IV in it, and looking again at the photo I think this E.IV has been painted in some kind of camouflage?  The metal panels have certainly been overpainted with something.  The other thing that makes me think the aircraft has been camouflaged in the field is because of the re-located serial number (if factory done, it would probably have been located in the usual position on the lower fuselage just aft of the wing). 

The below website discusses this photo and identifies the aircraft as E.IV 183/16 (which is the seventh-last E.IV built), with the name "Hannah" aft of the cockpit.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?7021-Original-Pic-of-early-WW1-German-Squadron-Kesta-4

Now, the mini-datafile on the E.IV has a photo of the last E.IV built (E.IV 189/16) on pg 9, which shows no fuselage cross and a factory finish of CDL and metal cowls, so I can only assume that 183/16 was painted in the field, probably in the green/brown camouflage that would have been used on the unit's Fokker D.IIIs and Halberstadts.  Judging by the crosses, I would say the white fields were retained. I would probably guess that CDL would remain on the undersides.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

BC

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Kesta 4 Fokker E.IV 183/16 - Camouflaged?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 09:25:25 PM »
A similarly finished E.IV?:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/camouflage-markings/22779-kesta-4-fokker-eiv-camo.html

I agree that the E.IV appears to be finished in a manner similar to the Fokker D.IIs and D.IIIs in the photo.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:27:43 PM by UncleTony »