Author Topic: New Guy Has Another Question-This time on Rigging Material  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Phillip1

New Guy Has Another Question-This time on Rigging Material
« on: October 01, 2012, 10:44:05 AM »
Fellow modelers,

Thanks for help on my last question concerning which Model Master paints to use.  I believe I got the information I needed from the paint manufacturer conversion charts referenced.  My next question concerns rigging material.  From reading various posts and the rigging "tips" section, it appears that fishing line is the most common material used for rigging.  Is this true?  Do you guys use any other materials for rigging?  I ask because a couple of years ago I built Hippo Models' 1/144 scale German Naval Zeppelin L11 (LZ41) and used .004" dia stainless steel wire for the gondola guy wires.  Each piece was cut to the required lenth and glued in place with superglue.  However I used .005" diameter fishing line for the rigging on the tailfin surfaces.  Below are a few photos to show you want I am talking about.  Let me know if any of you use the stainless steel on the planes you build.

Thanks

Offline Whiteknuckles

Re: New Guy Has Another Question-This time on Rigging Material
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 10:50:59 AM »
That's a mighty fine Zeppelin Phillip1!!

It seems most use various types of fishing line for their rigging although someone did mention 'ceramic wire'.
I think yours is the first I've seen using stainless wire - very effective I have to say ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

WarrenD

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 11:05:50 AM »
Phillip,
          Most everyone uses one of the following:

- fishing line
- "invisible sewing thread"
- fly-fishing leader material
- stainless steel or some other similar wire
- ceramic wire

I prefer fly-fishing leader or fishing line/"invisible thread". Your madness may vary.

HTH,

Warren

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 10:52:06 PM »
I'm firmly ensconced in the monofilament camp as I find it adds great strength to the model. An additional bonus is that it's easy to work with too.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 10:55:11 PM »

Bingo!

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Checkers67

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 01:25:38 AM »
That is one impressive Zepplin! Is the kit still avialbe? Currently I am testing e-z line, fly fishing thread and mono filament on scrapped bi-plane kits.
Thanks for sharing the pics.
Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 07:22:41 AM »
I use monofil fishing line (2 to 3 pound test) and also stainless steel wire for the shorter "runs" such as flight control cables. Like Chris, I like the added strength and support that mono provides. Everyone has their favorite, most seem to employ more then one technique, and quite honestly most work with great results. I'd recommend you experiment a bit, and keep an open mind.
Beautiful Zep!
Cheers,
Lance

WarrenD

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 09:33:18 AM »
That is one impressive Zepplin! Is the kit still avialbe? Currently I am testing e-z line, fly fishing thread and mono filament on scrapped bi-plane kits.
Thanks for sharing the pics.
Steve

I remember when that kit came out. Your build is great.

I got hold of some Dai-Riki fly fishing leader material, but sadly, I can no longer find it in the US.  :'( :'( :'(  It's VERY thin, strong, and is very pliable, limp, etc. (Not sure just what term I'm searching for here.)  I sure wish I could get some more.

Warren

Correction!  A quick search seems to show it's being imported again. Hooray!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:35:23 AM by WarrenD »

Offline Phillip1

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 11:53:37 AM »
Fellow Modelers,

Thank you for your rigging responses and kind words about the zeppelin model.  After reading what you wrote I believe I will probably try fishing line for the main rigging and the stainless steel for the flight control cables.  This is good to get a concensus from the experts.  Many of the models displayed on this site are really beautiful so you guys know best.  The WNW model I want to build is the early Rumpler C.IV.  Interestingly enough, of all the finished models on this site I haven't noticed any builds of this kit.  Am I the only taken with this aircraft, or is there a problem I do not know about? (HA!)

Concerning the Hippo Models' L11 Zeppelin, it is a resin kit with an overall length of 44.5"!  The company is still in business, but they no longer offer this kit.  Since it was only available for a few years my guess is it was either too difficult or too expensive to make.  I consider myself very fortunate to get one while it was available.  The unique paint pattern is an experimental scheme applied to L11 after it was retired from combat service.  It survived the war and was dismantled in Nov. 1917.  Below are a few more photos of it.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 10:58:45 PM »
The WNW model I want to build is the early Rumpler C.IV.  Interestingly enough, of all the finished models on this site I haven't noticed any builds of this kit.  Am I the only taken with this aircraft, or is there a problem I do not know about? (HA!)

Keith shared a couple pictures of his gorgeous build here:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=844.0

Offline IanB

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 10:17:45 AM »
I have a Rumpler C.IV, but it's a 1:72 Merlin kit - one day.....when I have LOTS of time!

Ian

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »

Bingo!

As like Bob, this is the only line I use for rigging my 1:32 scale models, it is the correct scale size, extremely strong and easy to use, CA holds it very well. I paint my lines using Mr Metal Color Stainless then buff them slightly, looks excellent.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Phillip1

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 11:29:03 AM »
Thanks for the additional responses.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 04:23:55 AM »

Bingo!

As like Bob, this is the only line I use for rigging my 1:32 scale models, it is the correct scale size, extremely strong and easy to use, CA holds it very well. I paint my lines using Mr Metal Color Stainless then buff them slightly, looks excellent.

Des.

I'd ask for a source, but I have enough rigging material around here right now that, if all were tied together it would probably reach Des' front door! And I'm in Canada!!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."