Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel "LeRhone" Major DR MacLaren  (Read 39336 times)

Offline petrov27

Re: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel "LeRhone" Major DR MacLaren
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 05:25:54 AM »
I was able to use the barracuda seat in my build - pics still seem to work though I closed my Photobucket account:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8181.msg157072#msg157072

I hope Lance doesn't mind my asking about the seat. Did you cut away the Molded on cushion or remove the bottom from the Barracuda seat?
RAGIII

I removed the molded on seat bottom all the way down till just the two wood cross-members were left.
-Patrick

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 08:47:40 AM »
Ask away, Rick, this is all good information as I missed Petrov's Build earlier. I like the photo of the new Barracuda Seat and cushions as well. I was going to place an order for a couple more of their seats however I think I'll wait for this new release.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline jknaus

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 03:56:40 AM »
Watching with interest LAnce. Cant wait to see what you do with it :)
James

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »
That seat with pads looks fantastic! Looking forward to this build, Lance! I have the USAS version waiting its turn in the stash.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 11:22:18 PM »
   Thanks for looking and commenting, James and Ian. I've cut the seat supports out of the floor frame assembly and managed to salvage the cushion which fits nicely into the Barracuda seat with a little modification. The proposed Barracuda Camel seat with separate cushions looks very nice but of course hasn't been released yet. I'll get some photos done once the assembly is all together.
   I'm discovering that the "fit" of this Kit is as good or better then the rest of the Wingnut Wing product line, a real joy to work with.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 12:18:44 AM »
Ask away, Rick, this is all good information as I missed Petrov's Build earlier. I like the photo of the new Barracuda Seat and cushions as well. I was going to place an order for a couple more of their seats however I think I'll wait for this new release.
Cheers,
Lance

Yes, they look great! I think I will wait to start mine until I can get the new seats!
RAGIII

PS: So Maybe another SE5a first  8)
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 05:01:23 AM »
   I just went back and checked the photos of the new seat; it appears that the "X" mesh strip around the middle back is filled in or has solid flash unlike the ones from the previous releases which were more or less open or flash free. On the good side those cushions are really nicely done!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline petrov27

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 06:22:31 AM »
both of the "old" barracuda seats I got for my Camel build were so badly flashed over in the middle part they may not even have bothered with that on the new seats. I destroyed one seat trying to remove the flash and damaged the 2nd one doing the same. Was pretty frustrating - I assume the moulds were old or getting worn out....
-Patrick

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 08:13:31 AM »
both of the "old" barracuda seats I got for my Camel build were so badly flashed over in the middle part they may not even have bothered with that on the new seats. I destroyed one seat trying to remove the flash and damaged the 2nd one doing the same. Was pretty frustrating - I assume the moulds were old or getting worn out....

Yes, we went over this in the past, the early releases seemed to be much better. I got two of the Pairs sets with the high and low backs and they are near perfect. A few years down the road the same sets were fully plugged with flash along that band. It's too bad as those early releases were as good resin work as I've ever seen.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 02:22:41 AM »
I ordered two of the Barracuda seats for my upcoming proposed Camel Builds.  Looking forward to see them, hopefully they aren't junk.  :o
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 04:43:15 AM »
I have only just found this Lance.... Great subject and it seems a great kit too. I am really looking forward to seeing this being built in your more than capable hands - another winner in the making.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 07:40:35 AM »
Thanks Stephen, it is indeed a very nicely laid out Kit. Mark, which seat set did you order?  I'd be very interested in your assessment of them as well.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 01:01:53 PM »
Hi Lance:  I ordered the ones that you have.  I scoped out their website based on the evidence that you had in your photo.  I will let you know what I think of them when I get them.  Rowan has/had a nice wicker one too IIRC.  We shall see.  I am betting it is better than "Brand X!"
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2017, 07:04:43 AM »
    Progress has been very slow however the cockpit module is nearing completion. The seat and Gas Tank frame still needs a little more work; the leather coaming on the seat back needs to be filled in to cover the wicker pattern and then the HGW belts will be added.

The instrument panel and floor boards with the control column are attached to the left side frame. The panel was completed with the addition of Aeroclub instrument bezels and the details of the side frame including Modelkasten bracing wires was completed before assembly. At this point the flight control cables were added and painted with Mr Metal Color Stainless. The rigging of the wires was a bit "fiddley"; they will be anchored once the module is fully assembled.

Once the seat is completed and the belts on it too will be mounted to the side frame, then the right frame married to the assembly. Wish me luck getting everything to line up and tightly together! Once it's all in one piece I'll provide photos of it, or the entire model parked on the shelf of shame if it doesn't line up or fit into the fuselage :o!

Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2017, 07:32:11 AM »
Absolutely Gorgeous work Lance! The IP, cockpit sides and details, and the seat are magnificent!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler