Author Topic: Opacity of overpainting at unit level  (Read 1758 times)

Offline wmoran

Opacity of overpainting at unit level
« on: July 14, 2017, 04:00:46 PM »
I am almost to the stage of applying lozenge decals and painting the major subassemblies of my first WWI model, the WNW Pfalz D.IIIa.  I am going to use the markings for Carl Degelow's Pfalz of Jasta 40 from Pheon Decals.  I was wondering if it would be realistic to apply the white paint to the tail surfaces thinly enough to show just a hint of the lozenge camo on the elevators bleeding though, or if it should be completely opaque.  Also, on the sheet, it looks like the complete tail, both top and bottom, has been overpainted white, but nothing is mentioned in the instructions.  I would like to know if others agree with my interpretation that the entire tail is white.

Thanks,
Bill Moran

Offline skeeterbuck

Re: Opacity of overpainting at unit level
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 09:00:56 PM »
Bill, to the best of my knowledge Jasta 40 markings were a black fuselage and all white tail including both sides of the stabilizer.

If you decide to apply the lozenge to the tail surfaces and overpaint in white, I think it would be most accurate like you suggest to just have a very slight indication of the lozenge underneath. Maybe to the point that you can discern the outline of the lozenge pattern but not the colors.

Good luck!

Chuck

Offline wmoran

Re: Opacity of overpainting at unit level
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 09:15:20 AM »
Chuck,

That was just what I was thinking.  I just want a hint of the lozenge camo to peak through the white, much like you can see a hint of the Balkenkreuz showing through the blue paint/dope on planes of Rudolf Bertold's jasta.

Bill