Author Topic: Ian from RI, USA  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Iancshippee

Ian from RI, USA
« on: June 23, 2017, 11:28:38 PM »
Hello everyone, and thank you for welcoming me to the forum! I've been modeling for almost 30 years now, I started with cars at age 6 with lots of help from my father, my first kit was an AMT Ford Model T tourning car. I started WW1 modeling when I was was about 10, with a Lindberg Curtiss Jenny. I've always loved WW1 aircraft, thanks to my parents taking me to Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome back at the ripe age of 2 (and pretty much every year after that!) Most of my ww1 experience has been in 1:48, with the exception of a couple 1:28 Revell kits that have wandered my way (two Dr.1's and a Camel). I've largely based by models on paint schemes I remember from my childhood at Rhinebeck, and also some modern-day schemes they have. There's a couple of deviations from that course, but that's my general approach. I have a handful of  Wingnut Wings Sopwiths that have wound up in my hands, so I will get to try my hand at 1:32 soon. My current project is the Dragon Fokker D.VIII, which I'm planning to decorate to look like Brian Coughlin's fantastic D.VIII replica. I'm even adding a Copper State Gnome 9N rotary to get as close as I can. I'll add some pics of my models to the site as I can; I'm also the father of a 4 year old daughter and 8-month old son, so bench time is at a premium! Fortunately my daughter is a big fan of the kits, and even "helps" sometimes! Thanks again for welcoming me!

Ian

Offline Alpha Delta 210

Re: Ian from RI, USA
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 02:08:24 AM »
Hello and welcome, Ian

I only joined this week and have already found it to be the most friendly forum that I am a member of!

Enjoy!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 02:52:36 AM »
Welcome to the Forum from the Mountains of North Carolina. You will find this t be a friendly and informative atmosphere!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 03:26:19 AM »
Welcome to the Forum, Ian. Enjoy, it's a great place to share your hobby, and an endless source of inspiration and support.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 06:50:52 AM »
Hello Ian and welcome to the forum, I'm looking forward to seeing your work posted here soon.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 09:23:04 AM »
I can tell just within the couple days I've been here what a friendly and supportive group it is! It's because we're all doing what we love. I worked on getting some halfway decent pictures of my completed kits today, hopefully I'll get them up and posted soon! Still need to get some pictures of my current work-in-progress, too. I have to admit, discovering this forum is akin to entering the Wonka chocolate factory!

Offline IanB

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 11:13:14 AM »
Welcome from Cape Cod!
 I've only been to Rhinebeck once, and that was off season. Hopefully I'll get to see them flying sometime!

Ian

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 07:18:00 PM »
Welcome aboard, Ian  ;)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 09:36:38 PM »
Welcomt to the forum. It has made such a difference to my modelling skills and is a source of real inspiration. I look forward to seeing some of your photos.

My grandson is just over two and looks with fascination at the models in my display cabinets. Who knows, in a few years ....

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 12:00:31 AM »
Hi Ian! It sounds like you are totally hooked on this wonderful hobby already! It's always good to get your children involved! Enjoy! Regards, Marc

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 05:19:16 PM »
Hello and welcome on this great forum.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau