Author Topic: Fokker E.V/D.VIII Wing paint streaking opacity  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Black Max 72

Fokker E.V/D.VIII Wing paint streaking opacity
« on: June 18, 2017, 03:45:45 PM »
Hi Gents

I'm currently working on a Eduard 1/48 Fokker E.V Weekend Edition and I have a question regarding the wing. The current view appears to be two colours streaked at an angle as in the Dr.1. Now I'm aware there is some controversy as to the actual colours used and I'm not going to get into that ;) but my question is this, given that the wing is fully made up of plywood paneling and Fokker streaking does have a degree of translucence, would it have been:
1. Varnished plywood (like the Albatros) with the paint streaked over, or
2. painted in a base colour first.
Now if it were option 1, would the wood grain appear (even if only faintly) through the streaking like the underlying CDL did on the Triplane. And if it did would it be appropriate to represent that somehow. Your thoughts and expertise would be welcome.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD 

Bughunter

Re: Fokker E.V/D.VIII Wing paint streaking opacity
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 02:02:30 AM »
The color were wood stain, which do not react well on paint.
So my interpretation of the question is stain on wood, followed by varnish:
http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8550.0

Hope it helps (I'm still confused, but now on a higher level ;) )
Cheers,
Frank

Offline Black Max 72

Re: Fokker E.V/D.VIII Wing paint streaking opacity
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 11:55:40 AM »
The color were wood stain, which do not react well on paint.
So my interpretation of the question is stain on wood, followed by varnish:
http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8550.0

Hope it helps (I'm still confused, but now on a higher level ;) )
Cheers,
Frank

Thanks Frank for the reply, that has helped make up my mind. The moment you mentioned 'stain' it triggered my memory, I'm sure I remember reading about it somewhere (probably to do with Achim Engel's DVIII replicas perhaps?) Wood stain as I know it changes the colour of the wood but has no (or very little) opacity, therefore it wouldn't necessarily 'hide' the grain of the wood paneling (some darker stains can actually intensify the grain) Even so I imagine if that was the case it probably wouldn't show up in photos of the time due to the lack of contrast of the photography, poor lighting and the usual low angle of the wing when the aircraft was usually photographed (ie 3/4 shot usually from the front or side). I thought of using the RB Productions PE Wood grain stencils then toning them down with a thinned wood colour topcoat so the graining just gives a hint of peaking through the colour stain when I apply it. Time to experiment! ;D

Regards
Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD