Author Topic: Possibilities in Dioramas  (Read 5469 times)

Offline GHE

Possibilities in Dioramas
« on: September 28, 2012, 12:52:56 AM »
Dear Modelers !

I always liked dioramas!
Besides the model (s) shown the whole infrastructure of a diorama is a real challenge.

My proposal to a diorama or vignette is to take a base - I imagine a nice piece of wooden baseplate - and tell your story
without rebuilding a sourrounding like grass etc. .
Just use single items (for ex. maintenance items)  and ad them, but do not rebuilt reality.
This makes your inner eye work and the complete scenery evolves in one's head.

bizz bald, Gunther
LZeppelin rocks!

Offline Whiteknuckles

Re: Possibilities in Dioramas
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 03:02:47 PM »
Sounds like a possible group build suggestion??

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Travelair

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 05:40:02 AM »
 It sounds like a step backward to me That is the way it used to be, mostly before Shep Paine.

Offline GHE

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 08:16:17 PM »
Dera Sirs,
My idea is comparable to a much reduced theatre scene - of course Sheperd Paine showed what is possible.
I'm fond of beautifully done dioramas as well since I was a little boy.

best Gunther
LZeppelin rocks!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 01:14:59 AM »
Each to their own. That's why there's chocolate and vanilla!

Steve

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 07:09:15 AM »
Come to think of it... does the forum here ever do group or themed builds?  I remember decades ago the old WWI Modeling Page used to have the occasional 'cook up'.  I never participated because I'm too slow to finish anything, but I love the idea.

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 05:35:01 PM »
Come to think of it... does the forum here ever do group or themed builds?  I remember decades ago the old WWI Modeling Page used to have the occasional 'cook up'.  I never participated because I'm too slow to finish anything, but I love the idea.

We have done group builds here in the past, which included judging and prizes. This was before my time as a moderator, but I believe that there was a mixed response from the audience; some folks wouldn't participate unless there were prizes. Some folks complained about the prizes on offer ("wrong scale, not something i'd be interested in, surely we should get something better", etc). Some folks were not interested in participating unless there was something in it for them, rather than looking to the overall character and spirt of the forum. The administration (organising prizes, sending them out, etc) was too costly and difficult due to the fact that we rely on donations for things like postage (noting that they needed to be sent from Australia, and postage is certainly not cheap). IIRC there were also some prizes that got lost in the postal system. I believe that poor Dave copped quite a bit of grief right the way through the whole process.

I think some of this is the reason why we haven't gone down the path of group builds for some time (not to say that we can't or won't in future, but I think it would need to be carefully considered).

Cheers,

BC

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2023, 02:14:32 AM »
I wasn't aware of complaining. I guess Des and Dave, as always, took it quietly in stride. Too bad that happened. I never did participate but that was strictly my lack of activity.

Steve