Author Topic: Nieuport X 1:32  (Read 42305 times)

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: Nieuport X
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2017, 07:32:43 AM »
Oh heck...

Nieuport X?

Nieuport X?

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/nieuport.html

If I hadn't poked around this so much, I'd say the first was a VI-H and the second an X-H

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2017, 06:28:27 PM »
What is confusing me is the pylon above the cockpit. There are two types, one has four struts in a pyramid. The other has an extra strut along the top making a ridge, a bit like a tent

I think... the 'pyramid' is used on the X and some of the earlier types. The 'tent' seems to be on the IV and VI

I'm surprised how long the X hydravion was in service, it seems to have lasted into 1916. It also seems to have started out with the Clerget 7Y, moving onto Clerget 9A and 9B engines

Richard

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2017, 02:21:39 AM »
Whatever the designation these look very interesting machines and ideal subjects for a scratch build. I am having to be careful boot to add one of these to my (growing) list!

Stephen.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2017, 04:28:14 AM »
Davilla and Soltan have a good deal of material on the 6H. I should be able to get it scanned for you this evening. One picture shows service markings at Port Said clearly. The 'pyramid' cabane seems to be the standard at the time. Most 'trestle' pictures resolve into a fitting for lifting by crane, but there do seem to have been some with a 'trestle' cabane. But if you want a service example in the Near East, 'pyramid' seems the way to go....

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2017, 06:35:23 AM »
Davilla and Soltan have a good deal of material on the 6H. I should be able to get it scanned for you this evening. One picture shows service markings at Port Said clearly. The 'pyramid' cabane seems to be the standard at the time. Most 'trestle' pictures resolve into a fitting for lifting by crane, but there do seem to have been some with a 'trestle' cabane. But if you want a service example in the Near East, 'pyramid' seems the way to go....

That sounds encouraging. The pyramid makes more sense as it is a stable structure to take the rigging and wing warping wires

Richard

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2017, 04:55:27 AM »
Well, after a lot of digging, thinking and valuable encouragement and support from 'Old Man', I'm reasonably sure this is a Nieuport X hydroplane:

There is a drawing on page 12 of this: https://www.hydroretro.net/etudegh/nieuportflotteurs.pdf and that's what I'm using as a start point

Scaling that drawing up to a 12.5 metre wingspan (Jane's Fighting Aeroplanes of WW1, page 119) gives a fuselage width that seems to be far too wide - I'm expecting it to come out just a bit over 1 metre

So, I'm going to have to do a bit of drawing first

I'm taking the float dimensions from this Flugsport drawing of what I think is a VI-H:

There are some other useful details on that webpage too: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2195640-Nieuport-IV

I have two WNW Gnome Omega engines, and have ordered a Vector Clerget 9. That gives me the possibility of a 7 cylinder Gnome Omega, a 14 cylinder Gnome Omega Omega or a 9 cylinder Clerget

I'm back on track!

Richard

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2017, 02:24:02 AM »
Looking forward to seeing this one being constructed. It is a completely new type to me - all the more interesting.

Stephen.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2017, 07:24:11 PM »
Well, here goes.

I've made a drawing:

No guarantee that it is correct, it is roughly the right size and has the right features. My drawing is enough to make the fuselage and the wings. I'll scale down the Empennage drawing on the scanner printer, it's near enough right

Richard

Offline Adam

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2017, 03:34:44 AM »
Richard, I'm sorry I'm not answering yet, but lately I did not have much free time.
In this book are the drawings of these Nieuports, but they concern the painting done on the basis of the photographs of the originals. They show the painting of individual Russian squadrons. In general the book describes the history of Russian aviation during the Great War, here is a description of individual squadrons and their planes.
For me personally, this is a very interesting book, because during this war many Poles served in Russian aviation, Polish squadrons were formed at the end of the war, many Poles after the revolution escaped to polish aviation, so this is a very interesting book for me.

Adam.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2017, 03:54:06 AM »
No problem, Adam

Richard

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2017, 03:03:59 AM »
I found another drawing:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22918078&postcount=6

As it says, probably a 4G. I've been looking for some construction details, and I'm going to steal them from this IV and use them on my X. And anyone who can prove I'm wrong is welcome

Nieuport seem to have used quite a bit of steel tube, either round or squashed into an oval. To fit the wings to the fuselage, the end of the spars were made cylindrical and fitted into a tube that went across the fuselage. this tube appears to have been welded into an oval tube that joins the upper and lower longerons aligned with the undercarriage struts.

So I've done the same:

I wasn't expecting to have to sort out the undercarriage quite so soon

Richard

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2017, 03:33:03 AM »
Wow that is a super start. The drawings look very good too, especially given the date.

Stephen.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2017, 06:52:02 PM »
Progress:

Dummy frames to the rear, styrene strip and brass where they are visible.

One of the copper bracing wires has come adrift!

Richard

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2017, 06:55:37 PM »
It's nice to see a modeller happy in his work  ;)

:)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Borsos

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2017, 07:03:43 PM »
Again a great start. Looks really promising.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.