Author Topic: Another double build: Sopwith Pup (HR Models) and Triplane (Revell), 1:72  (Read 23679 times)

Offline RAGIII

Excellent progress and congrats on the re appearance of the strut  ;D The rigging on the Pup is looking awesome.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

Thanks Rick and Stephen for your feedback.
Unfortunately I've been busy with work lately (it's that time of year!) and also had to go out to Wichita, Kansas, for a week for annual recurrent training. Between that, trying to keep the garden (yard for Americans!) tidy, and reposting all my old PB pics to Flickr and updating all my old threads, I haven't had any time for modelling for a while.
 However, I did decide to forgo the garden work today (my excuse was it has been too humid. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!) and finished the rigging on the Pup. I drilled through the lower wing at the inboard end to pass the flying wires through to the undercarriage mounts and then fitted all the flying wires.

That's going to be left until tomorrow when I hope to get it all tidied up.

Ian

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
I somehow missed the previous reports. So, late, let me tell you are making a fantastic progress on this double build. A pleasure to follow and admire!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline RAGIII

OUTSTANDING rigging!
RAGIII

Offline Borsos

OUTSTANDING rigging!
RAGIII

My thoughts too! Perfectly parallel wires. And this in 1:72. very impressive.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Very tidy - only the fingers gave away its 1/72

Offline lone modeller

As usual Ian your rigging is absolutely first class. How you manage to get the double wires so parallel in this scale is really a mystery - I know the holes have to be in the correct places.... Truly wonderful work.

Stephen.

Offline IanB

Thanks for the feedback folks, very much appreciated!

Well, Gents, I finally have another update!
 I took a look at the undercarriage as supplied by Messrs Revell and HR (Puffinstuff?) The Pup's is useable, although I'll make another spreader bar and axle. The Tripe's however, is not

The Tripe's is the lower pair shown below, after I had already attempted to modify one of the kit legs to see if it could be made to work....

Unfortunately, the legs are too long and the angle between them is wrong. Apart from that, they're not too bad...

So I made another pair using my usual method of brass rod and plastic strip. Here is the new pair, along with the old, plus the kit spreader bar and replacement...

Somewhat of an improvement I think!

After faffing around with those for a while I decided to finish off the tidy up of the upper wings following the rigging. They have now been painted and I hope to get a gloss coat on them tomorrow

While I had the airbrush going I also cleaned up the wheels and gave them another coat of colour.

Should be all downhill from here.....

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Coming along rather nicely Ian.  They look to be larger than 1/72 with your treatment.  Looking forward to your progress.

Offline RAGIII

Ian,
Both are looking terrific! Nice work on the painting of the upper wings. You are getting very close now to finishing these beauties!
RAGIII

Offline IanB

Thanks Juan and Rick...nearly there now....

The last couple of days have seen the last 2 major jobs completed:
 first the remaining decals were added on the wings

The little black rectangles that are supposed to represent the inspection windows will be covered by silver coloured decals to make them at least a little more convincing. I did think long and hard about adding clear sprue inserts to both aircraft's wings but decided it really wasn't worth the effort: there are 5 on the Tripe's wings and 4 on the Pup's.

Then today the elevators and rudder posts were fitted and painted, followed by the undercarriage.

They'll sit until at least tomorrow now to ensure that the undercarriage is solid before anything else is done.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Bughunter

How can I miss this build?
You have made a fantastic job is this small scale, if I compare it to my recently built Pup in 1/48.
May be I overlooked the posting, what engines have you used?

Cheers,
Frank

Offline IanB

Thanks Frank,
The engines are actually both from the HR Models Pup kit, as are all the wheels I'll be using. The spares come with the kit to allow for different variants. Pretty useful in  this case!

Ian

Offline RAGIII

Continuing to be an awesome Dual build! Really, Really close now  ;D The final markings look great!
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

Re: Another double build: Sopwith Pup (HR Models) and Triplane (Revell), 1:72
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2017, 02:16:17 AM »
A very interesting pair of models there Ian - and well up to your usual very high standard. Looking forward to seeing these completed.

Stephen.