Author Topic: Another double build: Sopwith Pup (HR Models) and Triplane (Revell), 1:72  (Read 23671 times)

Offline RAGIII

Excellent progress Ian!
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

Thanks Antonio, Terri, and Rick, for the feedback!

A little more progress now as I finally got the flower beds in front of the house planted and mulched this week!

I found a spare set of PE for a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter, which included the nose inspection panels. Since these were very poorly moulded on the Triplane, I used them. I also gave the sides of the nose a skim of PPP to blend them in and also bring the nose closer to the correct width.

A blast of white over everything to see what still needed doing, then yesterday I spent a few hours sticking strips of 0.5mm masking tape on the undersides for the ribs.

Once that was all done I still had time to blow a coat of Misterkit CDL on all the undersurfaces, and later last evening, removed the masking - a much quicker job than applying it!

and all done..

I hope to get a final thin coat of CDL on all of that later today to mute the rib tapes a little, then on to the upper surfaces.

Thanks for lookng in!

Ian

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Great progress on theese planes!
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RAGIII

You do not waste any time! The wings are looking great!
RAGIII

Offline IanB

Thanks Manni, Rick.

Some more progress, colour on at last! After completing the undersides, I got some paint on the uppersurfaces yesterday, PC10 for the Pup and PC12 for the Triplane, both Misterkit colours.

I then got the aluminium on this morning and have been looking for bits and pieces to do since then.

The cowling inners and undersides have also been done, but that's all for now until the paint is dry enough to mask and I can get the red on the Pup nose.

The "bits and pieces" that I decided on was making a start on the guns. I have one Aeroclub and one MiniWorld. The Aeroclub has had the grip cut and filed to form the attachment points for the windscreen. I then noticed that the MiniWorld gun is wrong...the cocking handle is at the top instead of underneath. So, I cut it off and CA'd it back on in more or less the correct place...

Hopefully it stays on, but it's no big deal if it doesn't it will not be seen behind the windscreen!

Finally toady, I attached the Triplane's tail......

Tomorrow's first job will be to mask and paint the Pup nose, then maybe start on the struts.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
I'm stunned by the extra work done to the Tripehound, people won't believe it started off as the Revell kit!

Offline boggie

Wonderful work Ian.

Following your progress is very enjoyable.  :)

Offline Borsos

Pew, I was offline for some few days and scrolled down through your progress now: Really lovely what you are doing!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

Beautiful paint work Ian! Both are looking fantastic!
RAIII

Offline ALBATROS1234

sorry to comment so long after your response but i must say that taking these old kits that look chewed by a dog and making them into prize winning models only attests to your skill as a real modeller not to be confused with a kit assembler. a modeller delights in correcting and/or manufacturing parts to make something into an amazing work of art. it seems most people these days want only a perfect accurate kit they can glue together without any trouble paint and display. i am more like you so i appreciate your work , to be honest i rarely even look at wnw build they mostly look all the same not that some guys dont go above and beyond with them.but whats truly impressive is making nothing look like something.

Offline steveb

I agree with the comments above, making a silk purse from a sow's ear! Excellent!

Steve

Offline IanB

Many, many, thanks to all for the kind comments, they are very much appreciated!

After feeling pleased with my progress, it was only natural that a couple of backward steps had to be made! The cowlings were not good fits, the Triplane was particularly bad, requiring quite a bit of PPP......

the Pup not so bad, merely requiring a little sanding of the top and lower corners of the fuselage to match the curve of the cowl....

That, of course, meant repainting the aluminium on the Triplane

oh ***! Yes, I got careless, now I need to repaint the wings too to get rid of the aluminium overspray. What a plonker!

Oh well, this afternoon's job is clear then.....

Ian

Offline lone modeller

You certainly do not move slowly. Great to see that others also make mistakes - and more work for themselves in the process!

I wholly agree with Scott that what you are doing is really impressive, particularly with the triplane which is really just a place to start….

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

Sorry about the backwards steps but it appears you are well on your way to correcting the issues.
RAGIII

Offline IanB

Thanks Stephen and Rick!

I was going to put a gloss coat on these today, but something just didn't look right with the Pup's nose I thought it was just an optical illusion at first, caused by not-quite-perpendicular edges to the red on the cowling, so I touched those up,

but it still wasn't looking right. I then put a square on it...

There's the problem - the nose looks as though it's turned up because it is! The nose is on a straight line from the rear decking, instead of being parallel to the top longeron.
 Remember I've already sanded down the top of the forward fuselage to fit the cowling, obviously it needs more. So I removed the cowling and engine, added some tape to mark the line of the longeron, then sanded the top of the forward fuselage a little more.....

With the cowling taped back on it looks much better now...

The engine and cowling have now been replaced and I'm waiting on those to dry properly before masking off and repainting the red.

Thanks for looking in,

Ian