Author Topic: Copper State W.12 Build  (Read 8659 times)

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
Re: Copper State W.12 Build
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 11:55:36 AM »
Finally got the floats on today and a couple gloss coats for decalling.  finally feels like I've rounded second base and heading for third.  This has been one tough kit.  Lots of trial and error and with the eye operations has taken much longer that usual.

So bought these two last month to speed up my builds - no more waiting for warm weather to airbrush.  Compressor is very quiet and the paint booth is by Mr Gunze.  I did need to buy a converter to set down our U.S. 110V to 100V since the fan motel was made for Japanese use.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:59:47 AM by cduckworth »
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 03:05:55 PM »
She's looking fantastic with her floats on, Charlie!  Delighted to see you back on this beauty.  Even with all the work I had to do on mine, it was a far more enjoyable and rewarding build than the Ansaldo.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 06:35:09 AM »
Looks great sitting on the Floats! Beautiful work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 07:49:00 AM »
Definitely looks like you are winning, and an inside the park homerun in the making.

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 12:31:13 PM »
Copper State provided two duplicate decal sheets in the kit.  In looking at the photos in the Datafile I convinced myself that the Iron Crosses did not have the thin black outlines as the decals had so I took one of the top wing crosses and cut off the narrow black outline.  Well, the cross decided to shatter in my water so that idea was tossed out.  The second issue I've had is the top wing Iron Crosses, when placed on the naval hex decals, allowed the hex to lift off the wing surfaces under the new decal.  So I've used three different decal solutions and they are 'finally' laying down.  Added the access door to the cockpit and hopefully over the next few days will get the top wing in place and the remaining struts added to the floats.     

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 10:36:11 AM »
Made up some brass struts for the area between the floats and wings today and got them glued in place.  Then added struts in the top wing.  Placed the top wing in place and noticed that it was a slight upward bow :-\ and when I pressed down on it it adds too much stress to the lower wing.  Tried to bend it in shape but thinking it will just 'remember I like being bowed' at some point in the future and return to the upward bow and will be impossible to fix. 

Am going to turn the wing over on its top and saw the middle so I can add some plastic strip to keep the wing straight. 

I think I know why now I don't see many of these kits built  :o

Charlie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2018, 09:45:35 AM »
Sorry to hear of your wing issues but I am sure you will sort it all out!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ronkootje

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 10:08:33 PM »
It would be a good idea to buy a moisture separator for that compressor before it goes to your airbrush.

Ron

Offline Edgar

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 03:57:20 AM »
Made up some brass struts for the area between the floats and wings today and got them glued in place.  Then added struts in the top wing.  Placed the top wing in place and noticed that it was a slight upward bow:-\ and when I pressed down on it adds too much stress to the lower wing.  Tried to bend it in shape but thinking it will just 'remember I like being bowed' at some point in the future and return to the upward bow and will be impossible to fix. 

Am going to turn the wing over on its top and saw the middle so I can add some plastic strip to keep the wing straight. 

I think I know why now I don't see many of these kits built  :o

Charlie

I would recommend heating the wing in hot water, it should return to a straight shape, as it was once cast straight
If it helps I can send you new naval hex and probably some parts, if I have some