Author Topic: Copper State W.12 Build  (Read 8657 times)

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
Copper State W.12 Build
« on: March 21, 2017, 09:22:54 AM »
Blame Bud; he put me up to this.  Actually, his excellent model of the Copper State W.12 had me wanting to tackle this kit after I finished the AZ Models Gotha G.V.  You can see patience isn't one of my virtues as the Gotha isn't anywhere near being placed in the 'completed' models section.  The W.12 cockpit has a good 3/8" of resin on the bottom so I took a small drill went to the drill press, said three Hail Mary's, and started drilling out the floor.  Bud warned me Eric's early kit's had a brittle resin and I did develop a small crack in the fuselage side but a dab of acc glue and Tamiya putty made it disappear.  As you can see I left a small brace of resin of the bottom as a strengthener.  Next I'll add the floors and side bracing from Evergreen styrene. 

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:02:37 PM by cduckworth »
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Copper State W.12 Build
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 09:27:32 AM »
Excellent work, Charlie!  Congratulations!  The hardest part's done.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 11:09:23 AM »
Bud
Would it be any trouble in posting some of your interior shots of your Copper State W.12?  I'd like to see where you placed the kits bulkheads.

Thanks
Charlie

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 12:19:28 PM »
Here you go, Charlie.  Most of the interior was scratched.

I hope these help.  Sure wish I could find that build log.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 10:58:23 PM »
Bud
Thanks, these help a lot.  The instructions let a lot to the imagination when it comes to the interior.  ;). The Wingnuts instructions are a huge help as well.

Charlie

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 11:35:12 PM »
I have a question on the Copper State model I'm building.  The bottom of the fuselage where the lower wing attaches matches the bottom of the wings - meaning its curved inward.  Looking at photos of various WNW W.12 builds the fuselage is deeper in this area and clearly doesn't match the bottom of the wing.  Did Copper State get it wrong? 

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 04:57:58 AM »
Here's a few shots of the Copper State W.12 under construction.  The interior was framed up and painted.  Window added to the observer's position on the bottom of the fuselage, the small windows drilled out in the observer's area; I'll fill these with Micro-clear after the flat coat.  The PE hatches are attached and fuselage painted with Tamiya Medium Sea Gray.   Am making up 1/32 struts out of brass stock and filing a pin on each end. It's taking a while to file these with rounded surfaces but I want the added strength to hold the wings straight.  You can see these in the photo of the floats. 

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:03:54 PM by cduckworth »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 10:31:05 AM »
Wow Charlie you have made terrific progress! Your W12 is looking fantastic. The metal struts will certainly add strength to the assembly.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 11:30:12 PM »
Very nice progress so far  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 12:41:12 AM »
Outstanding, looks beautiful.  Looks like its WNW's smaller cousin.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 11:51:08 PM by Juan »

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 06:15:17 AM »
Superb work so far, Charlie!  She's coming along beautifully.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 11:30:43 PM »
Bud
It's been a while since I added any updates on the W.12; I've not abandoned the project I assure you.  Omaha has been hosting an OS Omaha model railroad event the last few years and my Missouri Pacific Bagnell Branch is on the tour.  Guys from CA and even NY fly in to operate the 18 layouts we have here.  The layout features a branchline that operated from Jefferson City, Missouri to Bagnell - which became the Lake of the Ozarks when Bagnell dam up was built in the late 1920's.  The attendees switch industries just like the prototype.  If you google Mopac Bagnell Branch you'll see photos of the layout.  You can also search on OS Omaha .

Since I retired from the RR five years ago I started volunteering at a food pantry our parish runs.  Last week I was loading boxes of oranges and watermelons into our clients carts and my back started having shooting pains where I could barely walk.  Obviously this 65 years old back wasn't in shape for the lifting.  Been to the dr three times this week for pain relief and doing exercises so am slowly mending.  Promised myself the only thing I'm going to lift now is a glass of wine......

Charlie
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 11:35:04 PM by cduckworth »

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 11:16:52 AM »
Ok guys back to this build.  Had detached retina surgery alon 10/24 and found out on Friday the surgery needs to be redone.  Not the news I was hoping for but life goes on.  I started decaling the W.12 yesterday and discovered that I don't have enough of the Americal light colored naval hexes to finish the top wing.  Anyone have a sheet in their statch they are willing to sell?  Backup is scanning the sheet I have
and hoping I can get some replacements made.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 01:47:15 AM »
Sorry to hear about that needed re do on the surgery Charlie! On the other hand, glad to see you back on this one!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 07:49:18 AM »
The naval hex decals are finally on my W.12.  This little bird has been quite a exercise in trial and error, tore off the Americal decals using masking tape and replaced them with the Aviatics naval hex. 

Been making brass  replacement struts for the floats and those from the floats to the lower wing so I don't end up with a sagging lower wing when it's all finished.  The resin kit you see underneath is the Planet Rumpler C.1. Another  model that wants to have the wings sagging in the wrong direction.  Once my eye is getting back to normal and most importantly I can look up I'll use some boiling water to straighten the wings and tackle it next. 

Charlie

« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 08:54:39 AM by cduckworth »