Author Topic: Brandenburg W.12 Rib Tapes and naval lozenge questions  (Read 2183 times)

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
Brandenburg W.12 Rib Tapes and naval lozenge questions
« on: February 23, 2017, 01:25:13 PM »
I have a Copper State W.12 and was looking through and reading Datafile 61.  Ray Rimell discussed the naval lozenge on page 29 but I'm at a loss to see any rib tapes on the tops of the wings (reference photo 1).  I see the tapes on the bottom of the wings (photos 27 and 28 as example).  So any thoughts on how the tapes were applied on the tops of the wings?  Also, I don't see any seams where the bolts of fabric was mismatched as with the land based a/c.   Ray doesn't mention hand painted naval lozenge at all in the 'Fabric' section either.

Thanks for any input,
Charlie

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline Syd Solo

Re: Brandenburg W.12 Rib Tapes and naval lozenge questions
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 01:05:52 PM »
Charlie
Have you had a look at the WNW page on their W.12? Here is the link http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3114&cat=5
It's worth perusing the archive photos and the images of the decals and the kit instruction book (which can be downloaded as PDF).
To my eyes there are no rib tapes on the upper surfaces at all. There are lines where where the fabric is glued and/or stitched to to the ribs, but I am uncertain about that. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Cheers

Syd

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 10:32:55 PM »
Syd
I agree, I've looked at several W.12 and W.29 wings and there's no tapes.  I was looking for someone else to agree.  Thanks!
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 12:51:31 AM »
Charlie
From what I have read it seems that attention was paid to precisely matching up the fabric bolts so that no seam would be visible, I.e. It would appppear to be a continuous pattern.
Cheers again

Syd

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 02:12:36 AM »
Charlie
From what I have read it seems that attention was paid to precisely matching up the fabric bolts so that no seam would be visible, I.e. It would appppear to be a continuous pattern.
Cheers again

Syd
  .......  and I've also read (somewhere on this Forum I think) that there were no rib tapes used in the construction. I'm just finishing my W.12 and have no tapes on it for that and the previous reasons.
Cheers,
Lance