Author Topic: Mk V - 1st Canadian Tank Battalion - 1918  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

Mk V - 1st Canadian Tank Battalion - 1918
« on: February 20, 2017, 05:00:47 AM »
Canada raised several tank battalions in 1918, no doubt for employment in the projected offensive of 1919, but none of them saw actual service in the fighting on the Western Front. My model is based on an illustration of CANTANKEROUS that appeared on the 1st Canadian Tank Battalion's 1918 Christmas card. I incorporated this illustration in the title image below.

Illustrations being what they are, the louvres and Hotchkiss MGs identify this tank as a Mark V but the raised hatch on the rear of the roof looks suspiciously like that which appears on a Mark IV. For my purposes however, we'll call it a Mark V. The model is Takom's 1/35 scale Mark V built out of the box with the addition of a figure from the Stalingrad line. The base colours and highlights were done using Vallejo acrylics, followed by oil based washes and filters. The last step in the process was to dry brush with enamels. For the purists out there, although the tank appears to have a greenish tinge to it, the colours used are entirely within the brown range. The dried mud effect was made with Liquitex acrylic mediums. The tank's name and number were made from Archer dry transfer lettering burnished onto clear decal paper, and applied in the usual fashion. The figure was painted with Vallejo acrylics also. The base was made from a piece of latex cobblestone (no longer available) painted in various shades of gray, mounted in a simple photo frame.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Chris

You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Mk V - 1st Canadian Tank Battalion - 1918
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 05:46:23 AM »
Long time, no see, Chris!  How've you been?
She's absolutely gorgeous, buddy!  Mind sharing how you weathered her?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 06:10:30 AM »
Very nicely done Chris, and nice to see you back on the Forum! The Liquitex "mud" is a really nice touch, great weathering seems to be pretty much standard on all of your Builds.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 06:19:10 AM »
Beautifully done, congratulations and thank you for the background.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 06:22:41 AM »
I have seen many of your AFV and vehicle builds and this tank has to be up there with the best of them, very well done Chris and nice to see you back on the forum.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 07:10:59 AM »
Long time, no see, Chris!  How've you been?
She's absolutely gorgeous, buddy!  Mind sharing how you weathered her?
Cheers,
Bud
The Liquitex "mud" is a really nice touch, great weathering seems to be pretty much standard on all of your Builds.
I reckon if I'd read the entire post I wouldn't have asked such a sh-t brained question.  Just dazzled by the pics, I s'pose.  Thanks, Lance!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 08:00:21 AM »
   Hey Bud, you're talking to an expert on "old man's" sh-t brained logic and conversation! ;) I've seen this model before, as Chris and I correspond regularly as fellow "Canadian Mafia" members. I've been meaning to get some of the Liquitex Product, seems perfect for a muddy wheel effect on our WWI Aircraft subjects and I initially heard about it from Chris.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 11:19:15 PM »
Outstanding work Chris! Love your weathering techniques! Great to see you post here again!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jknaus

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 02:19:09 AM »
Fantastic, I really like this build.
James

Offline ModelCellar

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 07:27:20 AM »
Chris,

Really nice build.  I like it a lot =).

regards,
Paul

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 01:25:35 AM »
Good one, Chris. Well Done!
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 09:15:08 PM »
Thanks to all of you who've posted your comments. One of these days I plan to get stuck into another biplane. I have more than a few on hand now but like a lot of you, I'm patiently awaiting a WnW Camel which should get me back in the saddle again.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.