Author Topic: reference materials on Nieuports (11, 16, 17 so far)...  (Read 1625 times)

Offline 53ryder

reference materials on Nieuports (11, 16, 17 so far)...
« on: February 20, 2017, 12:26:18 AM »
So I've collected several 1/32 Nieuport kits to get started on. Looking for any reference materials that would be useful as I try to build these kits! Any ideas? I currently have a 11 Bebe, a 16 and a 17. All information welcome! TIA!

Glenn (newbie)

Offline Borsos

Re: reference materials on Nieuports (11, 16, 17 so far)...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 01:38:24 AM »
Hi Glenn,
The Windsock datafiles would be my first source. There's a two volume special about the Nieuports 11-27 and a standard volume about the Nieuport 17 and 28. Besides of that there's a wonderfull volume about the Escadrille Lafayette including 1/32 scale planes. These Windsock datafiles are THE source for WWI aircraft modelling, since I am in this hobby I never built a model without a WDF as a reference. Next to WDF are the Osprey books (Nieuport aces) and especially for Nieuports there are very interesting publications from France written by Marc Chassard and others. His book about Rene Dorme and N.3 is in fact much more then a story about a single escadrille but a groundbreaking reference for Nisuports. And there's a fascinating publication about the Nieuport camouflage - don't have it here right now but I can send you the title. At last, if you like British flown Nieuports, Cross and Cockarde once published a very nice book about Nieuports in British service. You see, when it comes to Nieuports, there's no lack of reference material.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 01:43:32 AM »
Hi Borsos - is the book on Dorme all in French or is there an English version? Is it still available? I think I recall seeing that advertised in Windsock years ago and was interested but lost track and never picked it up....
-Patrick

Offline Borsos

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 02:54:44 AM »
Hi Borsos - is the book on Dorme all in French or is there an English version? Is it still available? I think I recall seeing that advertised in Windsock years ago and was interested but lost track and never picked it up....

it is in English and as far as I know it is still available. It is really a great book. I got it directly from the author. He is a cool and very friendly guy. Xan organized the contact, he knows him personally . If he says it's ok I could forward the E-Mail contact of Marc Chassard to you...
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline 53ryder

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 07:49:21 AM »

it is in English and as far as I know it is still available. It is really a great book. I got it directly from the author. He is a cool and very friendly guy. Xan organized the contact, he knows him personally . If he says it's ok I could forward the E-Mail contact of Marc Chassard to you...
Borsos

Include me in any email discussions with Mr. Chassard. I have come across his name in what little research I have done online.

Glenn

Offline 53ryder

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 07:50:42 AM »
Just received Windsock's Special "Nieuport Fighters Vol. 1" by J M Bruce in the mail. Looks terrific!

Glenn