Author Topic: Acrylic wood  (Read 1361 times)

Offline jknaus

Acrylic wood
« on: February 05, 2017, 02:47:31 AM »
Hi everyone. I have been painting my wood by spraying a base and then using oil paints and brushing in one direction, removing most of the paint. I'm happy with the technique and think I do a pretty good job. But I find painting the frames this way is not as satisfactory and I'm not really happy with my results. Does someone have a good technique for painting the frames in acrylics that will look as good as oils? I use Tamiya, Vallejo and Ammo of Mig. Thanks for any help you can give me.
James

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: Acrylic wood
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 03:53:53 AM »
Not acrylic but i have an easier method for wood which is a hybrid thing i came up with which makes realistic wood tones. I used the following method on my eduard oeffag albatros posted in completed models last month. Basically i paint an acrylic base of a creamy linen color and use enamel paints for grain with thinned tamiya clear yellow topcoat. After the acrylic base drys i make a wash of the enamel grain color a fairly moderate to heavy cote is spread in grain direction. Not a complete coverage though it should be mainly translucent but it should look obviously darker than the orig acryl cote or else it will be too subtle. Let this dry to the touch about 5 min and then you make the magic happen. Take a small round pointy brush dip in clean thinner and remove paint in a streaky wood pattern. I just play with it and do that until it looks right and then let dry and topcoat with thinned tamiya cleat yellow. Its very forgiving. If you dont like how its looking use a brush dampened with thinner and remove the enamel and start over or sometimes i wil be making the grain and it ends up a little more subtle than desired so i add more grain back with thinned Coat in streaks. Play around on scrap its fun and looks good