Author Topic: New Guy Needs Help on German Paint Colors  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Phillip1

New Guy Needs Help on German Paint Colors
« on: September 16, 2012, 11:36:02 AM »
Fellow Modelers,
I am new to this forum and this is my first post.  I am an experienced modeler, but have never built a WWI aircraft model before.  I recently purchased WNW's Rumpler C.IV Early and I am blown away by all aspects of the quailty.  I have a question and need your help if I can get it.  The instructions list the numbers for Tamiya and Humbrol paints.  I use Model Master or Testors paints almost exclusively (because they work well for me).  Does anyone know the the equivalent Model Master paints to use for pale green, light blue, dark brown, dark green and mauve.  Unfortunately my local hobby shop does not carry either Tamiya or Humbrol paints, or I could make a visual match to Model Master.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Re: New Guy Needs Help on German Paint Colors
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 03:24:28 PM »
I'm not familiar with the paints you are using but this page might help:

http://misterkitusa.com/

These colours are acrylic paints specially designed for WWI aeroplanes. I think the colours you need are likely to be similar to the Albatros colours on this site.

Wingnut Wings also have some photos of completed models on their website which should be a useful reference

Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

WarrenD

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 11:50:16 PM »
Phillip,
         Sometimes there isn't an equivalent paint in the MM line, or any mainstream paint line. You may end up having to  mix your MM paints to come up with what you want, or resort to mail order. The MisterKit paints, as I remember them, can be very quirky and require some different handling and/or techniques. The colors are nice though. The site RB directed you to is very good as well.

Good luck matching paints! :)

Warren
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:03:05 AM by WarrenD »

Offline Phillip1

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 02:37:34 AM »
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the responses.  I will check out the referecnes you gave.

Offline Rickenbacker

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 01:36:38 PM »
Testors made a German Mauve color in their acrylic Polly-Scale line, which I believe has been discontinued. There's a couple bottles on eBay.

Offline GHE

Gunther: IPMS Stockholm has colour charts for WW1 & 2 aircraft
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 02:18:38 AM »
Messieurs !

IPMS Stockholm carries colour charts referring to brands; you may find it via internet.

horrido!  Gunther
LZeppelin rocks!