Author Topic: Bentley Br1  (Read 9398 times)

Offline taurusmodels

Bentley Br1
« on: December 29, 2016, 08:58:13 PM »
Time for waking up!

It seems that WNWs has just woke up, so TaurusModels also should back to the life :)
At the first glance I'm going to prepare two engines: Bentley Br1 and Clerget 9 (just started). LeRhone also will be done, but little later. I need some time - I don't want to make worse engine, than Br2.

I'd like to ask you about help - I'm looking for materials concerning to Br1. We have one in Krakow, but built in Camel, so there is some problems with measuring and visibility of some details. If you have any pictures, plans or so on, I'd be grateful for sending. Of course not for free :)

All the best, Lukasz

Offline rowan broadbent

Re: Bentley Br1
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 09:52:25 PM »
Lukasz, have you seen the book W O Bentley Rotary Aero Engines, by Dr. Tom Dine? It's a beautiful book, full of information and drawings and published by the WO Bentley Memorial Foundation (an offshoot of the Bentley Driver's Club) but it is a bit expensive at (I believe) £55 plus postage. It has information and drawings for both the BR1 and BR2 engines.

Rowan
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline taurusmodels

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 12:19:00 AM »
Thank you so much Rowan - I didn't know this book.

I have tried to buy it, but it's not so easy... do you know, where can I buy it?

All the best, Lukasz

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 01:53:48 AM »
semi-incidentally, I used to have a very interesting book about a guy who built a running scale copy of either a Br1 or a Br2 -- can't rem which. Also can't rem what scale -- maybe 1/4. Anyway, not so useful as a precision scale model reference but extremely interesting for the insight into how these things were made and how they work. I loaned it years ago to a friend and haven't seen it since -- I'll try to get it back...

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 02:40:40 AM »
There are some photos of Bentleys BR.1 and BR.2 in Aeroplan 1/2015(112). Let me know, if you do not have this issue.
And BTW, hasn't our Cracow Camel a Clerget engine?

And most importantly - great news, Łukasz! BR.1 would be most welcome to my planned Camel build!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline taurusmodels

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 02:48:15 AM »
semi-incidentally, I used to have a very interesting book about a guy who built a running scale copy of either a Br1 or a Br2 -- can't rem which. Also can't rem what scale -- maybe 1/4. Anyway, not so useful as a precision scale model reference but extremely interesting for the insight into how these things were made and how they work. I loaned it years ago to a friend and haven't seen it since -- I'll try to get it back...

Hi Bo!

I've got this book: Bentley Br2 - L.K. Blackmore - it's only about Br2...

Przemol: yes, we have Br1 in Krakow... built in Camel, so I haven't got access to each detail, and cannot measure overall dimensions. I haven't got aeroplan 112 - I'l send you mail - thanks!!!

All the best, Lukasz

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 04:14:15 AM »
I have that issue of WWI Aero #123 (purchased for the article on the SSW DIII) and there is virtually nothing in that article on the Bentley BR1 - its about the BR2.
Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 08:15:54 AM »
Sorry I cannot help with data, but looking forward to your mini masterpieces.   ;D

Offline taurusmodels

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 11:05:37 PM »
You could contact these guys...

http://www.wobmf.org/bentley-rotary-aero-engine

Thanks a lot. I tried contact the author, but still have no answer... this book seems to be difficult to buy....

all the best, Lukasz

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 02:01:08 AM »
Hi Lukasz
Any news on the Bentley BR 1 engine? I've just got the wingnuts kit and would like to do the Polski version. One of your engines would be the cream on the cake. Or am I going to have to put it in the stash for a while ?

Cheers

Andrew

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 07:30:23 AM »
Bump !!!!

Andrew

Offline taurusmodels

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 11:49:56 PM »
Hello Andy!
I'm currently fighting with clergets... and to tell you the truth I'm little frustrated. Some parts turned out to be impossible for casting (push rods with fastenings and a few little things). I didn't want to simplify anything and kept maximum reality, so I had to prepare it once again. Now I see, it took ma almost one month...
It's the reason of this hugh delay. I'll prepare BrI if only finish Clergets. I'm sorry that it take so long, but I don't want to simplify my engines. Nevertheless I need to consider if it makes any sense: usually when engine is ready, nobody buys it, because models are ready for a long time - last time engines preparing takes me about year...

All the best, Lukasz

Offline markleecarter

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 02:26:35 AM »
Hi Lukasz,
I just wanted to say I have every intention of buying one of your clerget's. I have no idea whether I will ever get a WNW Camel to put it in, but it looks like a wonderful model in it's own right!

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 06:00:55 AM »
Hello Andy!
I'm currently fighting with clergets... and to tell you the truth I'm little frustrated. Some parts turned out to be impossible for casting (push rods with fastenings and a few little things). I didn't want to simplify anything and kept maximum reality, so I had to prepare it once again. Now I see, it took ma almost one month...
It's the reason of this hugh delay. I'll prepare BrI if only finish Clergets. I'm sorry that it take so long, but I don't want to simplify my engines. Nevertheless I need to consider if it makes any sense: usually when engine is ready, nobody buys it, because models are ready for a long time - last time engines preparing takes me about year...

All the best, Lukasz
Hi Lukasz
No problem, I can put the camel on hold I have enough other stuff on the go. I'll have some of your Clergets if only to look and admire them in their own right and maybe even put them together if my eyes don't pack up first.

Cheers

Andrew

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 11:04:09 AM »
Hi Lukasz,
I just wanted to say I have every intention of buying one of your clerget's. I have no idea whether I will ever get a WNW Camel to put it in, but it looks like a wonderful model in it's own right!

Big Second on buying a Clerget, My camel is waiting to start only when your engine is available.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.