Author Topic: Bristol F.2B Fighter (1/32, Wingnut Wings)  (Read 5538 times)

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Bristol F.2B Fighter (1/32, Wingnut Wings)
« on: November 24, 2016, 04:54:00 AM »
My pleasure to present the model of one of two Polish RRFalcon-powered F.2Bs which were the presentation aircraft before the real contract for 103 Hisso-powered machines was signed. The two Falcon ones were left in Poland and immediately put into service without assignment to any squadron in hot days of August 1920 when red hordes were approaching Warsaw. None of the two survived to witness the Vistula Miracle on 15th of August. 20.1 was used on recco missions on 5th, 6th and 7th of August and destroyed. Similar fate happened to 20.2.

The WNW model is a pleasure to build, as rightly announced so by many other modellers. I have enhanced the engine compartment and finally decided to leave it totally open. The markings are the decals custom made by Melius Manu - thank you again!

I hope you will enjoy the photos as much as I enjoyed the build.

After taking those photos I realized I have forgotten to put right colours on the starter crank and that brass bulb on the cockpit outer side. Duly corrected and documented:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 06:51:06 PM by PrzemoL »
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Bolman

Re: Bristol F.2B Fighter (1/32, Wingnut Wings)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 05:42:52 AM »
Truly a work of art sir, Congratulations on an outstanding model!

John

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 05:59:29 AM »
I have always classed the WnW Bristol F.2b as one of their best kits ever and you certainly have proven that by producing this incredible model. The engine is absolutely amazing and is a model in its own right, the rigging is awesome and the finish on the model is superb.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 06:07:04 AM »
Simply outstanding!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 06:36:23 AM »
Prze,
    I echo Des's comments on the Kit and particularly the magnificent model you've produced, it is spectacular in the extreme! Please don't be offended, this is in no way a criticism, but did you forget the radiator shutter bell cranks and lines or was this particular aircraft without?
    This is by far your best effort of many, and I congratulate you on a beautiful replica of a magnificent aircraft!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline hadzi

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 06:48:21 AM »
Simply outstanding!

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 08:09:02 AM »
Stunning Prze,

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 08:49:03 AM »
You never let us down with your builds. Each one is a tutorial on details, painting and rigging! This one is no exception as it is superb crafmanship!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 10:00:49 AM »
Yet another stunningly beautiful build Prze, and Melius Manu's decals are as good as always!

Ian

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 02:28:07 PM »
this is an excellent bristol przemol

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 03:53:41 PM »
Totally outstanding, clean build terrific in every aspect. You are a real master of our hobby.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 06:25:17 PM »
Many thanks to everyone. I am glad you like it.

Lance, that mechanism for radiator shutters control is a real mystery for me. It is evident in the photos of TVAL Biff. But then I have almost spent my eyesight examining the photos from the period and seemingly none of WW1 period Biffs had it! Unfortunately, there are no available photos of Polish Falcon-powered Biffs, so I cannot tell if they had it. I decided to skip this in my model.

But there is one more omitted detail, I have just realized - the radiator drain valve. I will take care of it tonight.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 06:51:24 PM by PrzemoL »

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 08:05:48 PM »
World class modelling!!! Well done  :)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 01:14:49 AM »
Many thanks to everyone. I am glad you like it.

Lance, that mechanism for radiator shutters control is a real mystery for me. It is evident in the photos of TVAL Biff. But then I have almost spent my eyesight examining the photos from the period and seemingly none of WW1 period Biffs had it! Unfortunately, there are no available photos of Polish Falcon-powered Biffs, so I cannot tell if they had it. I decided to skip this in my model.

But there is one more omitted detail, I have just realized - the radiator drain valve. I will take care of it tonight.

Prze,
     Your reply brings my memory into focus, I too was baffled by the shutter controls and, other then the TVAL aircraft, I don't recall seeing the mechanisms on any period photos. In hindsight I'd say your representation of the aircraft is more correct then mine that has the control installed (including a lever for it in the cockpit!) It's occurred to me that there had to be some way to control the shutters since they would be useless without and that, on the original bird, the control was routed inside the fuselage and through the engine compartment. Another of the eras mysteries unless someone here has a definitive answer.
Again, beautiful job!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 03:30:19 AM »
Thank you, vB!

Prze,
     Your reply brings my memory into focus, I too was baffled by the shutter controls and, other then the TVAL aircraft, I don't recall seeing the mechanisms on any period photos. In hindsight I'd say your representation of the aircraft is more correct then mine that has the control installed (including a lever for it in the cockpit!) It's occurred to me that there had to be some way to control the shutters since they would be useless without and that, on the original bird, the control was routed inside the fuselage and through the engine compartment. Another of the eras mysteries unless someone here has a definitive answer.
Again, beautiful job!
Cheers,
Lance

That was my thinking, too, Lance. The control cables must run somewhere inside. But where, maybe one day we will know. I decided to omit this detail. BTW, where have you placed the lever in the cockpit? I may still try to add this, too  ;)

And in the meantime, the radiator drain scratch built and installed successfully:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 06:51:49 PM by PrzemoL »