Author Topic: Rigging For Everyone  (Read 56429 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Rigging For Everyone
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2018, 01:44:55 AM »
Downloaded to keep !!!

Steve

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2018, 08:48:28 PM »
PrzemoL's rigging article has now been restored on the forum and can be found at Page 1 on this thread.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Rob

« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2018, 12:30:51 AM »
This is a great thread and contains an incredible amount of info. Thanks to all who have contributed. I purchased some uschi rigging thread (elastic) and after measuring and cutting the first piece off the "bobbin" it curled up on itself making it difficult to lay out and measure without putting tension on it-hope that makes sense. Is it something I did/didn't do or is this just how the material reacts?
v/r,
Rob

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2018, 02:03:18 AM »
This is a great thread and contains an incredible amount of info. Thanks to all who have contributed. I purchased some uschi rigging thread (elastic) and after measuring and cutting the first piece off the "bobbin" it curled up on itself making it difficult to lay out and measure without putting tension on it-hope that makes sense. Is it something I did/didn't do or is this just how the material reacts?
v/r,
Rob

One of many reasons why I prefer the method with eyelets and monofilament line. No need to measure the sections exactly. Just cut it with abundant excess and then - trim.
Sorry, I cannot help you except for saying - give eyelets a try and I am sure you will never return to the method you refer to. ;)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Rob

« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2018, 04:01:43 AM »

One of many reasons why I prefer the method with eyelets and monofilament line. No need to measure the sections exactly. Just cut it with abundant excess and then - trim.
Sorry, I cannot help you except for saying - give eyelets a try and I am sure you will never return to the method you refer to. ;)
[/quote]

Fishing line and eyelets are my normal method...I thought I would try this and see what happened. Now I know  :)

Offline krow113

« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2018, 04:02:48 AM »
Good advice on the Uschi rigging.
If you cut it under pressure it will curl up.

Offline Rob

« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2018, 04:26:25 AM »
Good advice on the Uschi rigging.
If you cut it under pressure it will curl up.

Yep, that's what I did. It is possible to unreel some and get to some good stuff or have I ruined the roll?
v/r,
Rob

Offline krow113

« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2018, 04:36:38 AM »
I don't think the roll is wrecked . But let it fall off the bobbin rather than pull it maybe will help.
It was problematic for me as well until the materials qualities were discovered, which only happens through usage.
I also racked mine , that is to say I set up an axle through the bobbin.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2018, 05:49:04 AM »
I rigged my Eduard 1/48 SE.5a using eyelets and Uschi elastic thread looped through Polyimide tubing at each end. 
The thread was cut with plenty of slack then tightened and trimmed when installing.

Eric

Eric

Offline Rob

« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2018, 05:59:12 AM »
She's a beaut Eric.
v/r,
Rob

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2018, 12:28:28 AM »
Wow!! 1/48?!!

Steve

Offline B_Jobson

« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2020, 09:41:54 PM »
I rigged my Eduard 1/48 SE.5a using eyelets and Uschi elastic thread looped through Polyimide tubing at each end. 
The thread was cut with plenty of slack then tightened and trimmed when installing.

Eric

Which weight of the Uschi rigging thread? Looks fantastic.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2020, 10:30:05 PM »
Which weight of the Uschi rigging thread? Looks fantastic.

Thanks!  I used the "Standard" weight Uschi thread.  Good stuff.  I also highly recommend Infini Model Aero Black Rigging Thread which is available in 1/72, 1/48, and 1/32 weights.

Eric

Bughunter

« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2020, 10:19:36 PM »
This thread is great, but ...
The "bad" thing on this Uschi thread for brit planes is that it is round, but the used "RAF wires" were flat. In 1/32 the WNW manuals tell to use 0.1x0.3mm!
As result I use it for normal rigging, control wires and so on.
For later brit biplanes with RAF wires the EZ-line is a better match in 1/48, because is has a oval shape.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline eclarson

« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2020, 03:48:19 AM »
This thread is great, but ...
The "bad" thing on this Uschi thread for brit planes is that it is round, but the used "RAF wires" were flat. In 1/32 the WNW manuals tell to use 0.1x0.3mm!
As result I use it for normal rigging, control wires and so on.
For later brit biplanes with RAF wires the EZ-line is a better match in 1/48, because is has a oval shape.

Cheers,
Frank

Good point about the EZ-Line.  Just make sure you don't get a twist in it!   I've used it for on occaision and it looks good, but the "bad" thing about elastic thread in general is that it provides no additional structural strength.   I'm just wrapping up a WNW DH.9a Ninak and I opted to use conventional monofilament fishing line for the wings, preferring strength for those big wings over wire shape accuracy, which you'd not notice at normal viewing distances anyway.

Cheers.
Eric